Обсуждение: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

От
Dave Page
Дата:
The first beta release of pgAdmin 1.10.0 is now available for testing
from http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.10.0-beta1/.

At present there are installers for Windows and Mac, and source code
available. RPMs should be available within the next day or so from the
PostgreSQL Yum repository at http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org (thanks Devrim!)

Some of the major new features in this release include:

- A graphical query builder
- A client-side scripting engine in the query tool
- Redesigned server status monitoring tool.
- Support for PostgreSQL 8.4
- Enhanced support for EntepriseDB's Postgres Plus Advanced Server and
Greenplum Database.

In addition to which there have been dozens of smaller enhancements -
for the full list please see
http://www.pgadmin.org/development/changelog.php.

Please help us make this the most stable release ever, and take the
beta for a test drive! Please report any bugs or issues found to
pgadmin-support@postgresql.org.

Regards, Dave

--
Dave Page
pgAdmin Project Lead

Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

От
Glyn Astill
Дата:
Hi Dave,

Just gave it a whirl on windows I get;

An error has occoured:

Error connection to the server: root certificate file "C:\Documents and Settings\<SNIP>\Application
Data/postgresql/root.crt"does not exist.

At a guess, maybe something to do with the forward slashes? Else its user error and I apologise ;)

Glyn

> The first beta release of pgAdmin 1.10.0 is now available
> for testing
> from
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.10.0-beta1/.
>
> At present there are installers for Windows and Mac, and
> source code
> available. RPMs should be available within the next day or
> so from the
> PostgreSQL Yum repository at http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org
> (thanks Devrim!)
>
> Some of the major new features in this release include:
>
> - A graphical query builder
> - A client-side scripting engine in the query tool
> - Redesigned server status monitoring tool.
> - Support for PostgreSQL 8.4
> - Enhanced support for EntepriseDB's Postgres Plus
> Advanced Server and
> Greenplum Database.
>
> In addition to which there have been dozens of smaller
> enhancements -
> for the full list please see
> http://www.pgadmin.org/development/changelog.php.
>
> Please help us make this the most stable release ever, and
> take the
> beta for a test drive! Please report any bugs or issues
> found to
> pgadmin-support@postgresql.org.
>
> Regards, Dave
>
> --
> Dave Page
> pgAdmin Project Lead

Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

От
Arthur Knight Hammer
Hi Dave:

Would you consider this Beta release OK to use on a production system? I have
regular backups.  I'm not asking for a guarantee.  pgAdmin bugs are almost
always UI issues, I would like to help with the testing, and I can fix most
anything reasonable that might go haywire!  I would consider my use of
pgAdmin to be "vanilla", Postgresql experience low-expert (18 months).

Best regards and thank you for a superb assistant to my work,
Arthur Knight Hammer

Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

От
Dave Page
Дата:
[Removing extra lists]

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Just gave it a whirl on windows I get;
>
> An error has occoured:
>
> Error connection to the server: root certificate file "C:\Documents and Settings\<SNIP>\Application
Data/postgresql/root.crt"does not exist.

> At a guess, maybe something to do with the forward slashes? Else its user error and I apologise ;)

Hi Glyn,

This isn't really a bug, it's the enhanced security in PostgreSQL 8.4.
Basically, libpq (which pgAdmin uses to talk to the server) is trying
and failing to validate the SSL certificate that the server is using.
There needs to be a copy of the CA's root certificate on the client so
it can verify the server is who/what it claims to be.

I've reported the mixed slashes thing to the author of that code who
happens to on the other end of an IM client at the moment :-)

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Arthur Knight Hammer
<arthur@kingofthebears.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave:
>
> Would you consider this Beta release OK to use on a production system? I have
> regular backups.  I'm not asking for a guarantee.  pgAdmin bugs are almost
> always UI issues, I would like to help with the testing, and I can fix most
> anything reasonable that might go haywire!  I would consider my use of
> pgAdmin to be "vanilla", Postgresql experience low-expert (18 months).

Hi Arthur,

The licence agreement for even the release versions specifically
states there is no warranty or guarantee :-). I've been using the 1.10
code base as it's been developed, and my experience is that it's
pretty stable. It's also been undergoing QA at EnterpriseDB for a
couple of weeks now, and whilst that isn't a guarantee either, the
guys haven't logged more than half a dozen trouble tickets so far.

So the best I can say is that is seems pretty good to me, but use at
your own risk.

> Best regards and thank you for a superb assistant to my work,

You're welcome.

--
Dave Page

Re: pgAdmin v1.10.0 Beta 1 available for testing

От
Glyn Astill

--- On Fri, 13/3/09, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> This isn't really a bug, it's the enhanced security
> in PostgreSQL 8.4.
> Basically, libpq (which pgAdmin uses to talk to the server)
> is trying
> and failing to validate the SSL certificate that the server
> is using.
> There needs to be a copy of the CA's root certificate
> on the client so
> it can verify the server is who/what it claims to be.

Aha, got you.  That's a sign I need to finally take a look at the goodies 8.4 has to offer...
> I've reported the mixed slashes thing to the author of
> that code who
> happens to on the other end of an IM client at the moment
> :-)

Excellent, thanks Dave.