Обсуждение: pgAdmin 1.8.x hangs while tries to load XRC resources

pgAdmin 1.8.x hangs while tries to load XRC resources

От
Antonello Biancalana
Дата:
I have a problem in getting pgAdmin3 working since the 1.8.x series.
I usually build pgAdmin from source (however also the binary releases
give me the same problem) and whenever I try to run pgAdmin it shows the
splash screen and then it always hangs. After having traced the exact
point of hanging, I noticed it always hangs at file
pgadmin/ui/xrcDialogs.cpp line 13760 (1.8.4 version) at the point of the
first wxXmlResource::Get()->Load call.
I also tried to disable EMBED_XRC define and to copy all the XRC files
to [uiPath] with no success. I am currently using wxGTK 2.8.7 and all
the other requirements (in particular libxml2, ver. 2.6.32) seem to be
right. By the way: I am using Linux (Fedora 9). No problem if I use
pgAdmin 1.6.3: it complies and runs smoothly and with no problem. I am
having this problem since the release of pgAdmin 1.8.0
Do you have any idea of what the problem can be?

Thank you for your support and help.

Best regards.

Antonello

Bug report information:

pgAdmin ver 1.8.4
configure with no options
OS: Fedora 9, Linux 2.6.25.4
wxWidgets: wxGTK 2.8.7, configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode
postgreSQL ver 8.3.1, configure with no options

--

Antonello Biancalana
ProMIND software development - Perugia (ITALY)

PGP key ID: D40B3BC3
PGP key fp: AC62 7264 4233 5ADD 5ADA  D4D3 9B35 6051 D40B 3BC3

Re: pgAdmin 1.8.x hangs while tries to load XRC resources

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Antonello Biancalana
<promindsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem in getting pgAdmin3 working since the 1.8.x series.
> I usually build pgAdmin from source (however also the binary releases give
> me the same problem) and whenever I try to run pgAdmin it shows the splash
> screen and then it always hangs. After having traced the exact point of
> hanging, I noticed it always hangs at file pgadmin/ui/xrcDialogs.cpp line
> 13760 (1.8.4 version) at the point of the first wxXmlResource::Get()->Load
> call.
> I also tried to disable EMBED_XRC define and to copy all the XRC files to
> [uiPath] with no success. I am currently using wxGTK 2.8.7 and all the other
> requirements (in particular libxml2, ver. 2.6.32) seem to be right. By the
> way: I am using Linux (Fedora 9). No problem if I use pgAdmin 1.6.3: it
> complies and runs smoothly and with no problem. I am having this problem
> since the release of pgAdmin 1.8.0
> Do you have any idea of what the problem can be?

Not offhand. Does the wxWidgets XRC sample work?

--
Dave Page

Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Antonello Biancalana
> <promindsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not offhand. Does the wxWidgets XRC sample work?

Thank you for your reply and your help. Your suggestion was of terrific
help to me. I compiled and run the wxWidgets XRC sample and it worked
but it complained about some missing files (whereas pgadmin did not).
The XRC sample complained about the following missing files in my system:

usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.adobe.pdx.desktop
usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml.desktop
usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.adobe.xfdf.desktop
usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.fdf.desktop

which actually resulted to be missing links belonging to an old
installation of Adobe Acrobat Reader 7. I deleted these missing links
and now pgAdmin works.
I hope this can help other pgAdmin users. Maybe it would be nice if
pgAdmin would warn the user in case of these missing files like
wxWidgtes XRC sample does.

Thank you very much indeed Dave for your support and help!

--

Antonello Biancalana
ProMIND software development - Perugia (ITALY)
e-mail: promindsd@gmail.com
skype: antonello.biancalana

PGP key ID: D40B3BC3
PGP key fp: AC62 7264 4233 5ADD 5ADA  D4D3 9B35 6051 D40B 3BC3

Re: pgAdmin 1.8.x hangs while tries to load XRC resources

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Antonello Biancalana
<promindsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Antonello Biancalana
>> <promindsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Not offhand. Does the wxWidgets XRC sample work?
>
> Thank you for your reply and your help. Your suggestion was of terrific help
> to me. I compiled and run the wxWidgets XRC sample and it worked but it
> complained about some missing files (whereas pgadmin did not).
> The XRC sample complained about the following missing files in my system:
>
> usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.adobe.pdx.desktop
> usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml.desktop
> usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.adobe.xfdf.desktop
> usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.fdf.desktop
>
> which actually resulted to be missing links belonging to an old installation
> of Adobe Acrobat Reader 7. I deleted these missing links and now pgAdmin
> works.
> I hope this can help other pgAdmin users. Maybe it would be nice if pgAdmin
> would warn the user in case of these missing files like wxWidgtes XRC sample
> does.

Oh wow - I have no idea why those should break wxWidgets, but I wonder
if building wxWidgets with --enable-mimetype=no would have made any
difference.

Anyway, glad it's working now.

> Thank you very much indeed Dave for your support and help!

You're welcome.

--
Dave Page