Обсуждение: Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)

Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)

От
Kieran McCusker
Дата:
Hi

Could I just mention a couple of requests:-

1. The first is to do with the treeview.  The use case is where my users   just connect to a single database (limited
bydatname).  Here the   treeview shows :-

   Servers (1)   -> Server      -> Databases (1)         -> Database            -> Schemas (n)               -> Schema
theactually want to look at

   I wonder if it would be possible to collapse the treeview in this   case either using options -> display?
   In this case the server is acting as a synonym for a database (as far   as the users are concerned) so you could
imaginehiding the Servers,   Databases and Database leaving :-

   Server   -> Schemas (n)      -> Schema the actually want to look at

2. Allowing connect to server to specify both user and password.
   This is another case where I have to create multiple connections to   the same database cluster to allow connection
bydifferent users   (standard user, superuser etc.).  It also discourages me from using   individual user ids for my
users(always bad!).

Many thanks

Kieran

Re: Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Kieran McCusker wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could I just mention a couple of requests:-
>
> 1. The first is to do with the treeview.  The use case is where my users
>    just connect to a single database (limited by datname).  Here the
>    treeview shows :-
>
>    Servers (1)
>    -> Server
>       -> Databases (1)
>          -> Database
>             -> Schemas (n)
>                -> Schema the actually want to look at
>
>    I wonder if it would be possible to collapse the treeview in this
>    case either using options -> display?
>
>    In this case the server is acting as a synonym for a database (as far
>    as the users are concerned) so you could imagine hiding the Servers,
>    Databases and Database leaving :-
>
>    Server
>    -> Schemas (n)
>       -> Schema the actually want to look at

I've been toying with the idea of having the treeview in a tabset in
which users can create new treeviews using a node on an existing one as
the root on a new one. I just haven't got round too it (too many ideas,
too little time :-( )

> 2. Allowing connect to server to specify both user and password.
>
>    This is another case where I have to create multiple connections to
>    the same database cluster to allow connection by different users
>    (standard user, superuser etc.).  It also discourages me from using
>    individual user ids for my users (always bad!).

That doesn't sound too hard - the dialog already has the required
controls on it (albeit hidden in the scenario you're using it in) - we
could just display them and default their values to what we currently use.

Anyone want a little starter project?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)

От
Maciek Sakrejda
Дата:
I wouldn't mind taking a stab at this (and perhaps eventually other
things). Could I ask what others use in terms of development
environment? I tried Anjuta and Eclipse + CDT in Ubuntu, but they both
had issues properly navigating the code through "Go to
{definition,declaration}" (which I use constantly). I tried VS2k5 on
Windows, and that seems to work nicely, but I'm confused by the setup
instructions for pgAdmin with respect to building wxWidgets:

Windows 2000, XP and 2003

A suitable setup.h file. Copy this to the appropriate include/wx/ and
include/wx/msw directories in your wxWidgets source tree, and open the
wxWidgets project in Visual Studio....

What suitable setup.h file is this talking about? Also, is it necessary
to build wxWidgets to build pgAdmin? I hope I'm not asking for too much
hand-holding, but it'd be nice to get started without running into the
same problems that others have solved before.

Thanks,
Maciek

> > 2. Allowing connect to server to specify both user and password.
> >
> >    This is another case where I have to create multiple connections to
> >    the same database cluster to allow connection by different users
> >    (standard user, superuser etc.).  It also discourages me from using
> >    individual user ids for my users (always bad!).
>
> That doesn't sound too hard - the dialog already has the required
> controls on it (albeit hidden in the scenario you're using it in) - we
> could just display them and default their values to what we currently use.
>
> Anyone want a little starter project?
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Maciek Sakrejda wrote:
> I wouldn't mind taking a stab at this (and perhaps eventually other
> things).

Cool.

> Could I ask what others use in terms of development
> environment? I tried Anjuta and Eclipse + CDT in Ubuntu, but they both
> had issues properly navigating the code through "Go to
> {definition,declaration}" (which I use constantly). I tried VS2k5 on
> Windows, and that seems to work nicely, but I'm confused by the setup
> instructions for pgAdmin with respect to building wxWidgets:

VS2k5 is by far the best option.

> Windows 2000, XP and 2003
>
> A suitable setup.h file. Copy this to the appropriate include/wx/ and
> include/wx/msw directories in your wxWidgets source tree, and open the
> wxWidgets project in Visual Studio....
>

> What suitable setup.h file is this talking about? Also, is it necessary
> to build wxWidgets to build pgAdmin?

We tend to build wxWidgets ourselves because it ensures we get exactly
the options we need. There is an easier way to do it though (I need to
update that webpage):

- Get a checkout of the pgAdmin code from SVN (a snapshot won't work as
I just tweaked a file you'll need)

- Unzip the wxWidgets source code somewhere, and setup an environment
variable (%WXWIN%) to point to it.

- Open a Visual Studio command prompt (if you're using Express, it's
part of the Platform SDK), and change directory to xtra/wx-build in the
pgAdmin source tree.

- Run the build-wxmsw.bat file.

Setting up the rest of the dependencies is just a case of downloading
everything into a directory and setting up the environment variables per
the webpage.

> I hope I'm not asking for too much
> hand-holding, but it'd be nice to get started without running into the
> same problems that others have solved before.

Feel free - if I spend 10 minutes helping you and you end up
contributing even just one new feature it'll be worth it.

Cheers, Dave.