Обсуждение: OK button on restore

OK button on restore

От
Pierce Tyler
Дата:
This may be more of a feature request/suggestion than a bug. But here's
the issue: After finishing a restore using the Windows version (tested
in 1.6.3, but was also present in 1.4.x), if you click the "OK" button
when you're done, the restore process runs a 2d time--which is not
desirable. I've used the program enough to know I should select "CANCEL"
instead. But the distinction between OK and CANCEL (or "DONE", which I
believe I've seen in some versions) is not totally clear. The bottom
line is it's far too easy for a user to click OK thinking they're doing
the right thing, when in fact it's not the right thing to do.

I'm sure there are multiple ways to address this issue. One thought I
had would be to throw a message whenever the OK button is selected.
Something along the lines of "Clicking OK will cause the restore
operation to be run using the specified backup file. Do you wish to
continue? Y/N. HINT: To exit the restore screen select CANCEL."

Best regards,
Pierce

--
Pierce Tyler

Re: OK button on restore

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Pierce Tyler wrote:
> This may be more of a feature request/suggestion than a bug. But here's
> the issue: After finishing a restore using the Windows version (tested
> in 1.6.3, but was also present in 1.4.x), if you click the "OK" button
> when you're done, the restore process runs a 2d time--which is not
> desirable. I've used the program enough to know I should select "CANCEL"
> instead. But the distinction between OK and CANCEL (or "DONE", which I
> believe I've seen in some versions) is not totally clear. The bottom
> line is it's far too easy for a user to click OK thinking they're doing
> the right thing, when in fact it's not the right thing to do.

If the restore doesn't return a success code the button stays at OK so
you can tweak the options and try again. If it does return a success
code (zero), the button changes to Done. The same applies to the backup
dialogues.

Regards, Dave

Re: OK button on restore

От
Pierce Tyler
Дата:
That makes sense. But it still might be helpful to add an additional
safeguard (like a pop-up message, for example). I've seen cases where
the log returns only one error--something insignificant--and the user
decides they can live with it. So they click OK, thinking they're
exiting the screen, moving on. But instead they may have inadvertently
corrupted their database.

--
Pierce Tyler
Dir. of Product Support

Re: OK button on restore

От
"Luiz K. Matsumura"
Дата:
I agree with Pierce, instead of OK buttom we can have another message
like "start restore" or just "restore".
I don't remember how much times inadvertently press OK buttom to close
this screen. (Yeah, I was thinking that this occur only with me :P )
This is a little change, but will help a lot.

TIA.

--
Luiz K. Matsumura
Plan IT Tecnologia Informática Ltda.

Re: OK button on restore

От
Andy Shellam
Дата:
Yep I agree, with pg_restore, warnings also generate a non-zero return
code, but the restore does complete successfully, so this is mis-leading.
An example is "language <xxx> already exists" - pg_restore just throws a
warning to let you know this, but the restore is successful.

Perhaps what might work better is a message box - if you've already
performed a restore but it returned non-zero, and OK is pressed again in
the same dialogue box, throw up a message saying something like "you've
already attempted a restore, are you sure you want to run it again?"

Andy.

Luiz K. Matsumura wrote:
> I agree with Pierce, instead of OK buttom we can have another message
> like "start restore" or just "restore".
> I don't remember how much times inadvertently press OK buttom to close
> this screen. (Yeah, I was thinking that this occur only with me :P )
> This is a little change, but will help a lot.
>
> TIA.
>

> Pierce Tyler wrote:
>> That makes sense. But it still might be helpful to add an additional
>> safeguard (like a pop-up message, for example). I've seen cases where
>> the log returns only one error--something insignificant--and the user
>> decides they can live with it. So they click OK, thinking they're
>> exiting the screen, moving on. But instead they may have
>> inadvertently corrupted their database.
>>

>> Dave Page wrote:
>>>
>>> If the restore doesn't return a success code the button stays at OK so
>>> you can tweak the options and try again. If it does return a success
>>> code (zero), the button changes to Done. The same applies to the backup
>>> dialogues.
>>>
>>> Regards, Dave

Re: OK button on restore

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Andy Shellam wrote:
> Yep I agree, with pg_restore, warnings also generate a non-zero return
> code, but the restore does complete successfully, so this is mis-leading.
> An example is "language <xxx> already exists" - pg_restore just throws a
> warning to let you know this, but the restore is successful.
>
> Perhaps what might work better is a message box - if you've already
> performed a restore but it returned non-zero, and OK is pressed again in
> the same dialogue box, throw up a message saying something like "you've
> already attempted a restore, are you sure you want to run it again?"

Now thats a solution I'm happy with - I've added code to do this, if a
restore (or backup) is attempted from the same dialog invocation, with
the same filename as previously used.

Thanks, Dave

Re: OK button on restore

От
Andy Shellam
Дата:
That's great Dave, I'm sure it'll please many folks!!

Thanks

Andy.