Обсуждение: Backup/Restore

Backup/Restore

От
Hélder M. Vieira
Дата:
Hello.

I've just removed PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 and installed the 8.2 RC1 package in
a Windows 2000 Pro machine.
With pgAdmin, I created a database and tried to restore a backup.
At this point I noticed that, in the context-sensitive menu over the
database name in the Object Browser, the Backup and Restore items were
missing.
In the Tools menu, both the Backup and Restore items were grayed.
The pgAdmin build included in the PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 package worked
normaly.
Both pgAdmin, pg_dump and pg_restore are in the bin directory.

Could someone please give me a hand ?

Thanks,

Hélder M. Vieira

Re: Backup/Restore

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hélder M. Vieira wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've just removed PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 and installed the 8.2 RC1
> package in a Windows 2000 Pro machine.
> With pgAdmin, I created a database and tried to restore a backup.
> At this point I noticed that, in the context-sensitive menu over the
> database name in the Object Browser, the Backup and Restore items were
> missing.
> In the Tools menu, both the Backup and Restore items were grayed.
> The pgAdmin build included in the PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 package worked
> normaly.
> Both pgAdmin, pg_dump and pg_restore are in the bin directory.
>
> Could someone please give me a hand ?

http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-support/2006-11/msg00168.php

Regards, Dave

Re: Backup/Restore

От
Hélder M. Vieira
Дата:
Hello.

After adding the BIN directory to the PATH variable in the system variables
list, pgAdmin now shows the Backup and Restore items.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Hélder M. Vieira

>> I've just removed PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 and installed the 8.2 RC1 package
>> in a Windows 2000 Pro machine.
>> With pgAdmin, I created a database and tried to restore a backup.
>> At this point I noticed that, in the context-sensitive menu over the
>> database name in the Object Browser, the Backup and Restore items were
>> missing.
>> In the Tools menu, both the Backup and Restore items were grayed.
>> The pgAdmin build included in the PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 package worked
>> normaly.
>> Both pgAdmin, pg_dump and pg_restore are in the bin directory.
>>
>> Could someone please give me a hand ?
>
> http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-support/2006-11/msg00168.php

Re: Backup/Restore

От
"kenp"
Дата:
"Hélder M. Vieira" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> After adding the BIN directory to the PATH variable in the system variables
> list, pgAdmin now shows the Backup and Restore items.
>
> Thanks everybody for your help.
>

> Hélder M. Vieira
>

> >> I've just removed PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 and installed the 8.2 RC1 package
> >> in a Windows 2000 Pro machine.
> >> With pgAdmin, I created a database and tried to restore a backup.
> >> At this point I noticed that, in the context-sensitive menu over the
> >> database name in the Object Browser, the Backup and Restore items were
> >> missing.
> >> In the Tools menu, both the Backup and Restore items were grayed.
> >> The pgAdmin build included in the PostgreSQL 8.2 Beta 3 package worked
> >> normaly.
> >> Both pgAdmin, pg_dump and pg_restore are in the bin directory.
> >>
> >> Could someone please give me a hand ?
> >
> > http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-support/2006-11/msg00168.php

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Does this imply that pgAdmin picks up a single version of pg_dump and
pg_restore?

For example, I have PostgreSQL 8.1.4 and 8.2beta2 installed on my
machine. I presume the version of pg_dump and pg_restore for each of
these PostgreSQL versions is different. When I select a database on a
server, does pgAdmin pick up the verison of pg_dump and pg_restore
appropriate to that PostgreSQL version?

Thanks,

Re: Backup/Restore

От
Dave Page
kenp wrote:
> Does this imply that pgAdmin picks up a single version of pg_dump and
> pg_restore?
>
> For example, I have PostgreSQL 8.1.4 and 8.2beta2 installed on my
> machine. I presume the version of pg_dump and pg_restore for each of
> these PostgreSQL versions is different. When I select a database on a
> server, does pgAdmin pick up the verison of pg_dump and pg_restore
> appropriate to that PostgreSQL version?

No, it builds a search path and uses the first copies it finds. It
differs on Windows, Unix and Mac, but on Windows it will first look in
the directory that pgAdmin.exe is in, then in any directory that might
be specified by the most recent installation of PostgreSQL (from
pgInstaller), and finally will fall back to the normal %PATH%.

The important thing is to make sure you use the most recent pg_dump as
they're backwards compatible. pgAdmin is always released with the most
recent stable versions - and if you have a pgInstaller based
installation, then of course you already have appropriate version.

Regards, Dave