Обсуждение: How to provide db access to other systems

How to provide db access to other systems

От
"VivekanandaSwamy R."

We are using J2EE with PostgresSQL 8.1.0. OS : Wind
In my system,i am having Postgre database.Now i want to provide database access to the front-end programmers.
How can i do that?
Please give me and explain the path...because we dont have any DBA..
Im the new one for PostgreSQL

Thanks  &  Regards

Vivekananda.R | Software Engineer

Infinite Computer Solutions | Exciting Times…Infinite Possibilities...

SEI-CMMI level 5 | ISO 9001:2000

 Tel +91-80-5193-0000| Fax  +91-80-51930009 | Cell No  +91-9986463365|www.infics.com

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to Infinite Computer Solutions and / or its Customers and is intended for use only by the individual or the entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at info.in@infics.com and delete this email from your records.

Re: How to provide db access to other systems

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting "VivekanandaSwamy R." <VivekanandaSwamyr@infics.com>:

> Hi,
> We are using J2EE with PostgresSQL 8.1.0. OS : Wind
> In my system,i am having Postgre database.Now i want to provide database
> access to the front-end programmers.
> How can i do that?
> Please give me and explain the path...because we dont have any DBA..
> Im the new one for PostgreSQL
> Thanks  &  Regards
>
> Vivekananda.R | Software Engineer

> Infinite Computer Solutions | Exciting Times...Infinite Possibilities...
>

> SEI-CMMI level 5 | ISO 9001:2000
>
>  Tel +91-80-5193-0000| Fax  +91-80-51930009 | Cell No
> +91-9986463365|www.infics.com

Greetings,

You can allow your developers to use pgadmin by setting up the appropriate
users and groups (roles) in Postgres.  Also as a matter of security, you should
only allow encrypted connections.  You will need to generate a certificate
for the server and use the "hostssl" type with an "md5" password method (that
allows encrypted passwords to be used for your users) in the pg_hba.conf file.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

Re: How to provide db access to other systems

От
"Keith C. Perry"
Дата:
Quoting "VivekanandaSwamy R." <VivekanandaSwamyr@infics.com>:

> Hai keith,
> I tried for this.I was creted and enabled this property and it appears
> like below...
> Type            database        user
> ipaddress        method        option
> ------------------------
> Hostssl        all            all
> 172.16.9.55        md5
>
> This was saved.
> But when reopen the same pg_hba.conf,it was not appeared in list
>
> So what wil I do for this..
>
> Thanks  &  Regards
>
> Vivekananda.R | Software Engineer
>
> Infinite Computer Solutions | Exciting Times...Infinite Possibilities...
>

> SEI-CMMI level 5 | ISO 9001:2000
>
>  Tel +91-80-5193-0000| Fax  +91-80-51930009 | Cell No
> +91-9986463365|www.infics.com

If I understand what you are saying, it sound like there was a problem saying
the file.  Are you sure you have the right permissions to edit that file?  Also,
I forgot to mention that you will need to restart the server in order to
recognize the changes.

BTW, 172.16 is part of the IANA defined private networks so I don't think you
really want that line if you're mean to enforce encrypted connections from
outside your network.  If I may make a suggestion- here are the two lines I have
in my config...

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
hostssl    all         all         0.0.0.0           0.0.0.0   md5

These to line trust local IP connection only and for everything else, a SSL
connection is required.  This allows me to work on the server directly (or with
remote X sessions on my LAN) without a login and to force non-LAN users to use
encrypted connections.

Just my $0.03  :)