Обсуждение: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter Priveleges"

pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter Priveleges"

От
Walter Haslbeck
Дата:
Hi,

I just discovered a problem with pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3:

If you try to change user/group privileges (right click on table, dialog
"Properties", Tab "Privileges") you get some strange results.

Eg. take a table with the privileges:

root a*r*w*d*R*x*t*
public arwd
user1 arwd

Now you want to remove "DELETE" from public:
Click on public, uncheck "DELETE", click on "Add/Change".
instead of removing the "d" from the Privileges column of the "public"
line, there is a new entry in the list with a blank User/Group name and
"awd" rights. Also the generated SQL is wrong, so clicking on OK results
in an Syntax Error from the Database backend.

I'm using the win32 version of pgAdmin III 1.2 beta3 against a
PostgreSQL 7.4.5 engine on an SuSE Linux 9.0.

Walter

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Walter Haslbeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered a problem with pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3:
>
> If you try to change user/group privileges (right click on table, dialog
> "Properties", Tab "Privileges") you get some strange results.
>
> Eg. take a table with the privileges:
>
> root a*r*w*d*R*x*t*
> public arwd
> user1 arwd
>
> Now you want to remove "DELETE" from public:
> Click on public, uncheck "DELETE", click on "Add/Change".
> instead of removing the "d" from the Privileges column of the "public"
> line, there is a new entry in the list with a blank User/Group name and
> "awd" rights.

I can't reproduce this. I tried different ways; regardless how "public"
is entered into the combobox, add/change will replace the public-arwd
entry with public-arw.
Please specify every mouse click you do.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Walter Haslbeck
Дата:
Andreas Pflug schrieb:

> I can't reproduce this. I tried different ways; regardless how "public"
> is entered into the combobox, add/change will replace the public-arwd

I don't enter "public" in the combobox, I select public in the listview
above. I try to explain it again:

I starting with a table with the following access rights:

root a*r*w*d*R*x*t*
public arwd
user1 arwd

Then:

* open Privileges dialog
* select the secound line in the listview (public  arwd)
* deselect 'DELETE' checkbox
* click on "Add/Change" Button

This can be reproduced with pgAdminIII 1.2b3 on win2k/sp4 and winXP/sp2.
(Haven't tried the linux version untill now).

BTW: I'm new to this list, So a question: Is it ok to send screenshots?
To describe bugs in GUI-applications a screenshot can say more then a
lot of words... :)

Walter

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Walter Haslbeck wrote:
> Andreas Pflug schrieb:
>
>> I can't reproduce this. I tried different ways; regardless how
>> "public" is entered into the combobox, add/change will replace the
>> public-arwd
>

> I don't enter "public" in the combobox, I select public in the listview
> above. I try to explain it again:
>
> I starting with a table with the following access rights:
>
> root a*r*w*d*R*x*t*
> public arwd
> user1 arwd
>
> Then:
>
> * open Privileges dialog
> * select the secound line in the listview (public  arwd)
> * deselect 'DELETE' checkbox
> * click on "Add/Change" Button
>
> This can be reproduced with pgAdminIII 1.2b3 on win2k/sp4 and winXP/sp2.
> (Haven't tried the linux version untill now).

Still can't see any wrong behaviour, esp. no additional false line.
Please try the 20041022 snapshot, so we're on the very same lib versions.

> BTW: I'm new to this list, So a question: Is it ok to send screenshots?
> To describe bugs in GUI-applications a screenshot can say more then a
> lot of words... :)

Very rarely screenshots say more, your description what's wrong was
quite clear. Please *never* send movies to demonstrate what you did with
the mouse... :-)

Regards,
Andreas

Screenshots... Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 15:12, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Very rarely screenshots say more, your description what's wrong was
> quite clear. Please *never* send movies to demonstrate what you did with
> the mouse... :-)

Oh shit. I was just about to send a HDTV movie in 1080p ;)

SCNR
Tino ;)

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Walter Haslbeck
Дата:
Andreas Pflug schrieb:

> Still can't see any wrong behaviour, esp. no additional false line.
> Please try the 20041022 snapshot, so we're on the very same lib versions.

I allready tried the 20041022 snapshot, with the same (buggy) result..

But: with pgAdminII 1.2 beta2 everything works OK!

Walter

Re: Screenshots... Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3:

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 15:12, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>>Very rarely screenshots say more, your description what's wrong was
>>quite clear. Please *never* send movies to demonstrate what you did with
>>the mouse... :-)
>

> Oh shit. I was just about to send a HDTV movie in 1080p ;)

Well I can you provide you with a list of movies you may send me... Few
of them contain pictures of mice.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Walter Haslbeck wrote:
> Andreas Pflug schrieb:
>
>> Still can't see any wrong behaviour, esp. no additional false line.
>> Please try the 20041022 snapshot, so we're on the very same lib versions.
>

> I allready tried the 20041022 snapshot, with the same (buggy) result..
>
> But: with pgAdminII 1.2 beta2 everything works OK!

Anybody else around here who can reproduce this? I can't see changes in
cvs that might have caused this, all related changes are pre-beta-1.

Regards,
Andreas

I wrote:

> But: with pgAdminII 1.2 beta2 everything works OK!

I just compiled and installed wxWidgets 2.5.3 and pgAdminIII 1.2 beta3
on my SuSE Linux 9.0 Box and everything works OK. It seems that the bug
is Win32 specific... strange...

Walter

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
"Gary Doades"
Дата:
On 27 Oct 2004 at 13:48, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Walter Haslbeck wrote:
> > Andreas Pflug schrieb:
> >
> >> Still can't see any wrong behaviour, esp. no additional false line.
> >> Please try the 20041022 snapshot, so we're on the very same lib versions.
> >

> > I allready tried the 20041022 snapshot, with the same (buggy) result..
> >
> > But: with pgAdminII 1.2 beta2 everything works OK!
>
> Anybody else around here who can reproduce this? I can't see changes in
> cvs that might have caused this, all related changes are pre-beta-1.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

I can't reproduce the exact bug described, but there is some pretty
strange behaviour. Unless I am using it wrong.

If I click in the list of users/goups at the top of the dialog, the dropdown
list below changes to reflect the selection and all works OK. If I change
the dropdown, the listbox above is not changed to reflect the selection
so I don't know what I am changing, the one in the top list or the one in
the dropdown combo.

If you type "public " (without quotes, note the space after public) you
will get a new line for public<space> This could get very confusing.

It's possible that some combination of unsynchonised behaviour that we
can't reproduce could result in Walter's problem, but it's a bit obscure.

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Gary Doades wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2004 at 13:48, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

> I can't reproduce the exact bug described, but there is some pretty
> strange behaviour. Unless I am using it wrong.
>
> If I click in the list of users/goups at the top of the dialog, the dropdown
> list below changes to reflect the selection and all works OK. If I change
> the dropdown, the listbox above is not changed to reflect the selection
> so I don't know what I am changing, the one in the top list or the one in
> the dropdown combo.

This is by design, you're changing what's in the combobox or below. If
it matches something in the listbox, it will replace that when
Add/change is clicked.

> If you type "public " (without quotes, note the space after public) you
> will get a new line for public<space> This could get very confusing.

Originally intended, the user might enter any user name here, not only
those from the combobox which might have suppressed user names. OTOH, I
agree it seems error prone, so I'll change that.

> It's possible that some combination of unsynchonised behaviour that we
> can't reproduce could result in Walter's problem, but it's a bit obscure.

I suspect there's *something* he didn't tell us so far, since he's
experiencing this on more than one system. Can't imagine what...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
"Gary Doades"
Дата:
On 27 Oct 2004 at 18:05, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> I suspect there's *something* he didn't tell us so far, since he's
> experiencing this on more than one system. Can't imagine what...

Hmm, I can reproduce it, but *only* if I blank out the contents of the
combo after clicking the public entry in the list above. I can't see any
"accidental" way of blanking out the combo though.

It probably didn't ought to allow a blank user!

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Walter Haslbeck
Дата:
Andreas Pflug schrieb:

> I suspect there's *something* he didn't tell us so far, since he's
> experiencing this on more than one system. Can't imagine what...

I just reinstalled everything and tried again, results:

* the official beta2 on Win32/Win2K is OK
* the official beta2 on Win32/WinXP is OK
* the 20041022 snapshot on Win32/Win2K is OK
* the 20041022 snapshot on Win32/WinXP is OK
* the official beta3 on Linux is OK
* the official beta3 on Win32/Win2k is buggy
* the official beta3 on Win32/WinXP is buggy

Some more details that may help you to reproduce the bug:

* DB Backend: PG 7.4.5 on SuSE Linux 9.0
* The DB uses a lot of schemas (27)
* There are 69 Users and 19 Groups
* I enabled the 'Show users for privileges' checkbox in the
Options/Preferences dialog.
* and again: I select the user via clicking on the listview in the upper
half of the dialogbox, not via the combobox in the middle.

Walter

Re: pgAdmin III v1.2 Beta-3: Problem with "alter

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Walter Haslbeck wrote:
> Andreas Pflug schrieb:
>
>> I suspect there's *something* he didn't tell us so far, since he's
>> experiencing this on more than one system. Can't imagine what...
>

> I just reinstalled everything and tried again, results:
>
> * the official beta2 on Win32/Win2K is OK
> * the official beta2 on Win32/WinXP is OK
> * the 20041022 snapshot on Win32/Win2K is OK
> * the 20041022 snapshot on Win32/WinXP is OK
> * the official beta3 on Linux is OK
> * the official beta3 on Win32/Win2k is buggy
> * the official beta3 on Win32/WinXP is buggy

So the bug is fixed, because 20041022 is Post-Beta3. Probably the
combobox thing.

Regards,
Andreas