Обсуждение: pgadmin3 beta2 connect to 7.3.4 server

pgadmin3 beta2 connect to 7.3.4 server

От
Tim Booth
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to run pgadmin3 on a machine which has client libraries for
PG 7.4.x installed (a Debian unstable box) but want to connect to a
RedHat 9 box, which runs PG 7.3.x.  Bad things start happening (ie
complete GUI freeze requiring kill -TERM when I try look at a table I
don't have SELECT permissions on).

So before I waste too much time fiddling I'd just like to ask:

- Is PG 7.3 supported at all, and if so should I be able to connect from
a box with the 7.4 client libs?
- If not, is it possible to add a check for a valid server version
rather than allowing connections then allowing things to blow up?
- If 7.3 should be supported let me know and I will try to send a real
bug report with test cases.

Sorry if the version compatibility is already listed somewhere - maybe I
missed it.

Thanks,

TIM

Re: pgadmin3 beta2 connect to 7.3.4 server

От
"Dave Page"
> I'm trying to run pgadmin3 on a machine which has client
> libraries for PG 7.4.x installed (a Debian unstable box) but
> want to connect to a RedHat 9 box, which runs PG 7.3.x.  Bad
> things start happening (ie complete GUI freeze requiring kill
> -TERM when I try look at a table I don't have SELECT permissions on).
>
> So before I waste too much time fiddling I'd just like to ask:
>
> - Is PG 7.3 supported at all, and if so should I be able to
> connect from a box with the 7.4 client libs?

Yes, and Yes. Mind you, is your pgAdmin distro statically linked? Many
of them are to prevent this kind of problem (not that it should occur
anyway).

> - If 7.3 should be supported let me know and I will try to
> send a real bug report with test cases.

Yes, I admin 7.3 servers just about every day. A backtrace would be good
if you can get one, and a full debug logfile.

Thanks, Dave.

blacknoz@club-internet.fr
>> - Is PG 7.3 supported at all, and if so should I be able to
>> connect from a box with the 7.4 client libs?
>
>Yes, and Yes. Mind you, is your pgAdmin distro statically linked? Many
>of them are to prevent this kind of problem (not that it should occur
>anyway).

If Tim is using our package, it is libpq statically linked.

Tim can you send the version of the package you are using please ?
(dpkg -l pgadmin3\*)

Any chance you are facing a network problem ? I had similar freeze at connection time when having network problems.

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: pgadmin3 beta2 connect to 7.3.4 server

От
Tim Booth
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me with this info.  I'm afraid it was a bit
of a false alarm - the problem seems to stem from a nasty interaction
between the (old) version of GTK on my laptop and wxwindows on the
Debian test machine, which is generally running headless.  If I go and
sit at the actual machine I get an error box popping up just as it
should be.

Sorry to waste time with that, but now I know that our setup should be
supported I'll be using and testing this release (1.2.0-0.0+beta2.0).

Everyone here thinks PGAdmin3 is the business, so thanks for all the
good work.

TIM