Обсуждение: using Debian Sid

using Debian Sid

От
Aurélien Campéas
Дата:
Hello,

I'd like first to thank the guys that build pgAdmin 3 - it's a wonderful
tool !

Then, let's talk about some little problems. I first tried the win32
version under win2k and it worked just fine (backend on Debian Sid).

The debian/unstable version however has some problems. It seems nobody
has run into it yet (as far as the ml archive tells). Here it is :

1) key accel don't work when you have to select a type for a column. but
this is just a minor annoyance...

2) when building a Table, the UI helping Foreign Key definition lacks
the reference candidates list for the target table (RED color empty
field in the second snapshot below).

http://sigma.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/Members/aurelien/pgadmin/fk_def1.png/
http://sigma.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/Members/aurelien/pgadmin/fk_def2.png/

As a workaround, I'm trying to compile from source, but I don't know
what to give as an argument for the --with-pgsql= configure script
parameter (I've tried different things, without success).

Oh, off course, I'm running the latest 1.0.2 stable release.

Any hint ?
Thank you for your patience,

Aurélien Campéas.

Celebrate Hannibal Day this year. Take an elephant to lunch.

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Aurélien Campéas wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'd like first to thank the guys that build pgAdmin 3 - it's a wonderful
>tool !
>
>Then, let's talk about some little problems. I first tried the win32
>version under win2k and it worked just fine (backend on Debian Sid).
>
>The debian/unstable version however has some problems. It seems nobody
>has run into it yet (as far as the ml archive tells). Here it is :
>
>1) key accel don't work when you have to select a type for a column. but
>this is just a minor annoyance...

What do you mean with "select type for a column"?

>2) when building a Table, the UI helping Foreign Key definition lacks
>the reference candidates list for the target table (RED color empty
>field in the second snapshot below).

Try running the app with loglevel set to  SQL (or debug), and watch
which sql queries are executed when you start the FK dialog. The column
retrieval query should show up every time you change the "referenced
table" combobox on the first page.

>Oh, off course, I'm running the latest 1.0.2 stable release.

Good. You might try the 1.1 snapshot also, which has an improved font
handling and displays better for non-standard fonts as you are using.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: using Debian Sid

От
blacknoz@club-internet.fr
Дата:
Hi Aurélien,

todays debian snapshots have just finished to build and should be available as soon as the mirror will be ok. These
snapshotsare built against our latest wx snapshot (20031010-9) and should fix many functionnalities.

If you have further question regarding the build of debian packages, you can have a quick look to pgA3 website (I tried
todocument it as much as I could). If it's not clear enough, I'll send you detailed instructions by private mail (may
bein french ;p).

Feel free to contact me for debian specific things (don't forget to CC the list ;p)...

Regards,
Raphaël

>>I'd like first to thank the guys that build pgAdmin 3 - it's a wonderful
>>tool !
>>
>>Then, let's talk about some little problems. I first tried the win32
>>version under win2k and it worked just fine (backend on Debian Sid).
>>
>>The debian/unstable version however has some problems. It seems nobody
>>has run into it yet (as far as the ml archive tells). Here it is :
>>
>>1) key accel don't work when you have to select a type for a column. but
>>this is just a minor annoyance...
>>

>What do you mean with "select type for a column"?
>
>>2) when building a Table, the UI helping Foreign Key definition lacks
>>the reference candidates list for the target table (RED color empty
>>field in the second snapshot below).
>>

>Try running the app with loglevel set to  SQL (or debug), and watch
>which sql queries are executed when you start the FK dialog. The column
>retrieval query should show up every time you change the "referenced
>table" combobox on the first page.
>
>>Oh, off course, I'm running the latest 1.0.2 stable release.
>>

>Good. You might try the 1.1 snapshot also, which has an improved font
>handling and displays better for non-standard fonts as you are using.
>
>Regards,
>Andreas

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Aurélien Campéas
Дата:
Le mar 16/12/2003 à 14:16, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> >1) key accel don't work when you have to select a type for a column. but
> >this is just a minor annoyance...
> >

> What do you mean with "select type for a column"?

hmmm, to pick it from the list of types ?

> Try running the app with loglevel set to  SQL (or debug), and watch
> which sql queries are executed when you start the FK dialog. The column
> retrieval query should show up every time you change the "referenced
> table" combobox on the first page.

Ok, I'll remember that...

> Good. You might try the 1.1 snapshot also, which has an improved font
> handling and displays better for non-standard fonts as you are using.

Thanks for your input, I'll try the snapshot asap.
Aurélien.

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Aurélien Campéas
Дата:
Seems like 1.1 has the same problems.
Also, the log level is not selectable from the GUI (there's nothing to
click on, just a gray empty panel).

I'm digging further...

Le mar 16/12/2003 à 15:45, blacknoz@club-internet.fr a écrit :
> Hi Aurélien,
>
> todays debian snapshots have just finished to build and should be available as soon as the mirror will be ok. These
snapshotsare built against our latest wx snapshot (20031010-9) and should fix many functionnalities.

> If you have further question regarding the build of debian packages, you can have a quick look to pgA3 website (I
triedto document it as much as I could). If it's not clear enough, I'll send you detailed instructions by private mail
(maybe in french ;p).

> Feel free to contact me for debian specific things (don't forget to CC the list ;p)...
>
> Regards,
> Raphaël

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Aurélien Campéas wrote:

>Seems like 1.1 has the same problems.
>Also, the log level is not selectable from the GUI (there's nothing to
>click on, just a gray empty panel).

?!?!?
Nothing to be seen from file/options?
Never heard something like that.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Aurélien Campéas
Дата:
Want a snapshot ? Have it :)

Le mar 16/12/2003 à 20:04, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Aurélien Campéas wrote:
>
> >Seems like 1.1 has the same problems.
> >Also, the log level is not selectable from the GUI (there's nothing to
> >click on, just a gray empty panel).
> >

> ?!?!?
> Nothing to be seen from file/options?
> Never heard something like that.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters. -- Philip Larkin on Anthony
Burgess

Вложения

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Aurélien Campéas
Дата:
What would be the correct option in .pgadmin3 ?

LogLevel=SQL ?

Thanks,
Aurélien

FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #19 A: To be or not to
be. Q: What is the square root of 4b^2?

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Aurélien Campéas wrote:

>Want a snapshot ? Have it :)

Congratulations....
At the moment, I can't imagine what made that radio buttons disappear.
Please check if you have some bug nest right beside your processor, some
like it hot :-)

You can set the LogLevel in ~/.pgadmin3 to 3 or 4 with any editor.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Aurélien Campéas
Дата:
Le mar 16/12/2003 à 13:17, Aurélien Campéas a écrit :
> 2) when building a Table, the UI helping Foreign Key definition lacks
> the reference candidates list for the target table (RED color empty
> field in the second snapshot below).
>
> http://sigma.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/Members/aurelien/pgadmin/fk_def1.png/
> http://sigma.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/Members/aurelien/pgadmin/fk_def2.png/

Ok, I understand it now. It's a pure GUI bug.

Suppose we want "Amorce" the table to reference, as in the first
screenshot. Amorce seems selected by default (it comes first in the
list), but in fact it is not ! One has to click onto some OTHER table
name, then back to Amorce. Part one...

Part two (second screenshot) : now the red zone will be correctly
filled. BUT that is not enough. In order to have the Add ("Ajouter")
button to work, one need to use the same trick as in part one on the
Local Column ("Colonne locale") field.

Seems like some xw/gtk oddity.

Have a good day :=)

Aurélien.

Are you ever going to do the dishes? Or will you change your major to
biology?

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Raphaël Enrici
Дата:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Aurélien Campéas wrote:
>
>> Want a snapshot ? Have it :)

Hi Aurelien,
here is mine! :)
http://perso.club-internet.fr/blacknoz/pgadmin3/pga320031216shot.jpg
It looks ok. In fact I don't test sid in plain sid environment... My
display is a woody/testing mixed environment, but the pgadmin3 you can
see in this screenshot is launched from the chroot sid build environment
(the one I use to produce packages)...
I'm gonna install a standalone sid environment so that I can try to
reproduce your problem.

Concerning the other problem, I confirm that you must select a table in
the "Properties" tab so that the Cols one is correctly initialised. Is
it similar under Slackware (Andreas ?).

I'll do some feedback concerning pgA3 under a full debian sid
environment asap.

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>> Aurélien Campéas wrote:
>>
>>> Want a snapshot ? Have it :)
>>>

> Hi Aurelien,
> here is mine! :)
> http://perso.club-internet.fr/blacknoz/pgadmin3/pga320031216shot.jpg
> It looks ok. In fact I don't test sid in plain sid environment... My
> display is a woody/testing mixed environment, but the pgadmin3 you can
> see in this screenshot is launched from the chroot sid build
> environment (the one I use to produce packages)...
> I'm gonna install a standalone sid environment so that I can try to
> reproduce your problem.
>
> Concerning the other problem, I confirm that you must select a table
> in the "Properties" tab so that the Cols one is correctly initialised.
> Is it similar under Slackware (Andreas ?).

Yeah, it's a pita.
There are still some places left where the initial selection isn't set to 0.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: using Debian Sid

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Aurélien Campéas wrote:

>Ok, I understand it now. It's a pure GUI bug.
>
>Suppose we want "Amorce" the table to reference, as in the first
>screenshot. Amorce seems selected by default (it comes first in the
>list), but in fact it is not ! One has to click onto some OTHER table
>name, then back to Amorce. Part one...
>
>Part two (second screenshot) : now the red zone will be correctly
>filled. BUT that is not enough. In order to have the Add ("Ajouter")
>button to work, one need to use the same trick as in part one on the
>Local Column ("Colonne locale") field.
>
>Seems like some xw/gtk oddity.

Fixed in cvs. gtk shows the first entry, while it's still not selected
correctly (win32 will show "" in that case)

Regards,
Andreas