Обсуждение: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
timothy.r.morley@kc.frb.org
Дата:
Toolin the 20031203 snapshot rpm for Mandrake 9.1 I still get a crash of the entire application when using the Query
Toolon a connection to an SSL enabled Postgresql server.  I've tried this using the wxGTK2ud packages from 20030831 and
getthe Query Tool to work just fine on an SSL connection if I build from the src snapshot from 20031203 !!  I do the
buildof pgadmin3 with the wxGTK2ud 20031010(.7) packages.  I have a home build of PostgreSQL 7.4 installed.  It was
compiledwith the --with-openssl option.  I built pgadmin3 with this command: ./configure --enable-debug --enable-static
--with-wx-config=wxgtk2ud-2.5-config(Straightfrom the pgadmin.org website.  I can read! ).  So I'm not sure what that
face="sans-serif"size="2">Pgadmin3 is a great tool.  Thanks for all the work you've put in on this.</font><br /><br
/><fontface="sans-serif" size="2">Tim</font>

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
timothy.r.morley@kc.frb.org wrote:

> I believe this is part 3.  Anway, here are my lastest tinkerings using
> the Query Tool(not the Visual Query Builder) on Mandrake 9.1.
>
> Using the Query Tool in the 20031203 snapshot rpm for Mandrake 9.1 I
> still get a crash of the entire application when using the Query Tool
> on a connection to an SSL enabled Postgresql server.  I've tried this
> using the wxGTK2ud packages from 20030831 and the wxGTK2ud packages
> from 20031010(the .7 packages).
>
> However, I can get the Query Tool to work just fine on an SSL
> connection if I build from the src snapshot from 20031203 !!  I do the
> build of pgadmin3 with the wxGTK2ud 20031010(.7) packages.  I have a
> home build of PostgreSQL 7.4 installed.  It was compiled with the
> --with-openssl option.  I built pgadmin3 with this command:
> ./configure --enable-debug --enable-static
> --with-wx-config=wxgtk2ud-2.5-config(Straight from the pgadmin.org
> website.  I can read! ).  So I'm not sure what that indicates about
> the problem but that is the latest on my Query Tool / SSL endeavors.

Jean-Michel,

I'm wondering if you're using libpq 7.3 for packaging. This should work,
but IMHO we should use the latest versions for all libraries. Maybe
Timothy and  you got this worked out finally.

> Pgadmin3 is a great tool.  Thanks for all the work you've put in on this.

We like it! Your appreciation is the fuel we're running on.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mercredi 03 Décembre 2003 15:35, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Jean-Michel,
> I'm wondering if you're using libpq 7.3 for packaging. This should work,
> but IMHO we should use the latest versions for all libraries. Maybe
> Timothy and  you got this worked out finally.

libpq3 packages are installed. Timothy compiled  PostgreSQL with a home
install, using the --with-openssl. Mandrake also compiles PostgreSQL with
OpenSSL. So, I do not see a solution.

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Mercredi 03 Décembre 2003 15:35, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
>

>>Jean-Michel,
>>I'm wondering if you're using libpq 7.3 for packaging. This should work,
>>but IMHO we should use the latest versions for all libraries. Maybe
>>Timothy and  you got this worked out finally.
>>

>libpq3 packages are installed.

So you're using 7.3, not 7.4?
Please verify that this problem is not related to libpq version.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mercredi 03 Décembre 2003 17:02, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> So you're using 7.3, not 7.4?
> Please verify that this problem is not related to libpq version.

Do you mean I should install PostgreSQL 7.4 under Mandrake 9.1? This would
break package dependencies. Or would you like a test before libpq4 is being
compiled staticly? Can you explain more?

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
"Dave Page"

Build from source in an isolated directory if you prefer. You *should* be compiling against libpq from 7.4 though.

Regards, Dave.

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mercredi 03 Décembre 2003 17:52, Dave Page a écrit :
> Build from source in an isolated directory if you prefer. You *should* be
> compiling against libpq from 7.4 though.

Dear Dave and Andreas,

RPM tracks dependencies automatically. If pgAdmin3 is compiled to libpq 7.4
shared libraries, dependencies are added to libpq 7.4. As a result, users
will need to upgrade PostgreSQL 7.4 itself. Am I right or do I miss
something?

Are there plans to compile libpq staticly?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
"Dave Page"

We do (or at least we used to and I don't remember it being changed).

Regards, Dave.

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 04 Décembre 2003 09:21, Dave Page a écrit :
> We do (or at least we used to and I don't remember it being changed).

Thanks. I thought libpq was not compiled staticly, my fault. So, I need
install PostgreSQL 7.4 official set of RPMs. Should this requirement be added
on the website?

Bye, Jean-Michel

Re: SSL and Query tool crashing continued

От
"Dave Page"

It should be a requirement of the binary distros, but I'm not 100% sure if it's required for building from source.
IIRC,there are some SSL fixes and the new protocol but that's about it. The API has expanded but the existing stuff
hasn'tchanged (again, iirc).

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I wonder where this confusion comes from, we have been discussion the
static libs issue for distros quite a while. IMHO we had consensus that
we should link statically as much as possible. This is especially true
for such a small library as libpq, which might take such a huge package
to install if not linked statically.

Regards,
Andreas