Обсуждение: Status of Migration Wizard ?

Status of Migration Wizard ?

От
Didier Moens
Дата:
Hi all,

Not wanting to put pressure on the developers  ;) , but is there any
progress on the MSAccess Migration Wizard ?

PgAdmin II v1.1.66 is stated to be feature-complete, however, the MW is
still on the todo-list, and is not to be found in the CVS.

Should the MW be postponed to a future release cycle :
- are there any (planned) improvements wrt the MW in PgAdmin 7.1 ?
- any improvements wrt PostgreSQL 7.2 ?
- is it possible to lift a prerelease out of the CVS ?

Congrats with an otherwise very nice tool.

Sincerely,

Didier Moens
-----
RUG/VIB - Dept. Molecular Biology - Core IT
tel ++32(9)2645309 fax ++32(9)2645348
http://www.dmb.rug.ac.be

Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?

От
Dave Page

I don't recall saying that pgAdmin II *is* feature complete, but anyway the
story is:

1) I wanted to redesign the Migration Wizard as it worked well for Access,
but not other DBs.
2) The new design was based on the concept of building an object hierarchy
from the source database that could be modified in any way required before
building the target database. Data could then be filtered across though user
definable VB or JavaScripts (using the MS scripting Engine).
3) In order to do this, I needed to get certain details (e.g. fkey, pkey)
from the source database. To get this info, I was using direct OBDC API
calls.

Unfortunately, it turns out that whilst the ODBC spec allow me to get the
required info, the MS Access & SQL Server ODBC drivers don't support that
level of functionality (neither does psqlODBC btw), and basically I couldn't
do what was required on the 2 most popular source database types :-(

Currently I have the bginnings of a pgAdmin II Migration Wizard Plugin. It's
not in CVS as it's not even remotely complete, but if you (or anyone else)
wants to take a look I'll happily make it available.

On my personal To-Do list, is a job to rip the old Migration Wizard out of
pgAdmin I and make it a standalone application. This would have to be
released under GPL as a number of people had a hand in that code.

> Congrats with an otherwise very nice tool.

Thanks, glad you like it.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> 1) I wanted to redesign the Migration Wizard as it worked well for Access,
> but not other DBs.
> 2) The new design was based on the concept of building an object hierarchy
> from the source database that could be modified in any way required before
> building the target database. Data could then be filtered across though user
> definable VB or JavaScripts (using the MS scripting Engine).

Intriguing. I suppose this could take care of the problem I'm having in
PgAdmin I with regional settings (need to change from e.g. Dutch to
English, in order to correctly import e.g. single precision fields).

> Currently I have the bginnings of a pgAdmin II Migration Wizard Plugin. It's
> not in CVS as it's not even remotely complete, but if you (or anyone else)
> wants to take a look I'll happily make it available.

Sure ; no objection being a beta-tester. After all, isn't everyone ?  :)

However, as I am on the brink of converting a crucial MSAccess project
to PostgreSQL, and not being an ODBC nor a pgSQL wizard, I'm
understandably hesitant to convert my data with a pre-beta (?) tool.

> On my personal To-Do list, is a job to rip the old Migration Wizard out of
> pgAdmin I and make it a standalone application. This would have to be
> released under GPL as a number of people had a hand in that code.

So, I gather no "immediate" benefits are to be gathered from waiting for
the PgAdminII Migration plug-in (as I've got this self-imposed 2001
deadline for the conversion) ?

Actually, I wondered whether there would be any improvements wrt. the
interaction with new pgSQL 7.2 features (ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT etc.).

Kind regards,

Didier Moens
-----
RUG/VIB - Dept. Molecular Biology - Core IT
tel ++32(9)2645309 fax ++32(9)2645348
http://www.dmb.rug.ac.be

Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?

От
Dave Page

You misunderstand me I think. The code isn't even remotely beta, it barely
even gets a list of columns in a table from the source database yet. I
really have hit a total brick wall with this ODBC problem and don't have
time to look at it right now (I'm in the middle of a large migration of an
Informix database & IIS website to Linux).

If you still want to look at the code then the offer is still there of
course...

> > On my personal To-Do list, is a job to rip the old Migration Wizard
> > out of pgAdmin I and make it a standalone application. This
> would have
> > to be released under GPL as a number of people had a hand in that
> > code.
>

> So, I gather no "immediate" benefits are to be gathered from
> waiting for
> the PgAdminII Migration plug-in (as I've got this self-imposed 2001
> deadline for the conversion) ?

I doubt I'll even touch it this year. I'm not even sure my concept is
possible using ODBC :-(

> Actually, I wondered whether there would be any improvements wrt. the
> interaction with new pgSQL 7.2 features (ALTER TABLE ADD
> CONSTRAINT etc.).

It would be difficult to make direct comparisons as the new design concept
is so completely different.

In your case, I would suggest that you use pgAdmin I to migrate your data
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgadmin). I hope to solve this problem,
but I really don't know when I can right now :-(

Regards, Dave.