Обсуждение: PATCH: graphical explain

PATCH: graphical explain

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Hi,

PFA the patch for graphical explain feature.

It consists of explain.js, __init__.py and demo_explain.html, snap_svg.js and snap_svg-min.js file.

Currently I have placed hard coded JSON data in demo_explain.html file to display graphical output; which will be replace by actual output user get from server in JSON format.

Use below URL to access graphical output:

http://localhost:5050/misc/explain where 5050 is the port your web server is running on

To test the patch, user can replace plan data (stored in 'data' variable) in demo_explain.html with other valid plan data in JSON format and run the above URL.

Please review the patch and provide comments for the same.

TODO: Integration of graphical explain into sql editor

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb
Вложения

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Hi,

Please do ignore previous patch as it contains trailing whitespaces.
PFA the revised patch after resolving this issue.

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb

[...]

Dave Page
Дата:
Hi,

A couple of comments following a quick test:

1) Some of the horizontal lines are not actually horizontal - they
noticeably drop down. Please see the attached screenshot.

2) I thought we were going to use a "viewport" to allow the user to
navigate through the diagram? I was thinking of displaying a thumbnail
with viewport in the top-left, with the main view being synchronised
to the viewport position/zoom level - for example, look at the 2D Zoom
example on http://www.ajax-zoom.com/. Something like Croppie might
help: http://foliotek.github.io/Croppie/ (as ajax-zoom is not free).

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Sanket Mehta
<sanket.mehta@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please do ignore previous patch as it contains trailing whitespaces.
> PFA the revised patch after resolving this issue.
>

> Regards,
> Sanket Mehta
> Sr Software engineer
> Enterprisedb
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Sanket Mehta
> <sanket.mehta@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> PFA the patch for graphical explain feature.
>>
>> It consists of explain.js, __init__.py and demo_explain.html, snap_svg.js
>> and snap_svg-min.js file.
>>
>> Currently I have placed hard coded JSON data in demo_explain.html file to
>> display graphical output; which will be replace by actual output user get
>> from server in JSON format.
>>
>> Use below URL to access graphical output:
>>
>> http://localhost:5050/misc/explain where 5050 is the port your web server
>> is running on
>>
>> To test the patch, user can replace plan data (stored in 'data' variable)
>> in demo_explain.html with other valid plan data in JSON format and run the
>> above URL.
>>
>> Please review the patch and provide comments for the same.
>>
>> TODO: Integration of graphical explain into sql editor
>>

>> Regards,
>> Sanket Mehta
>> Sr Software engineer
>> Enterprisedb

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Hi Dave,

Regarding your second comment,
Almost all the libraries that I have checked uses Jquery UI which is quite heavy.
Please share your comments about using these libraries.

Meanwhile currently I have implemented zoom in/out functionality in graphical explain.
I have added two buttons on left top corner of panel (see the attached screen shot),
which you can use to zoom in/out the graph.

Please do review it and let me know your comments about them.

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb

A couple of comments following a quick test:

1) Some of the horizontal lines are not actually horizontal - they
noticeably drop down. Please see the attached screenshot.

2) I thought we were going to use a "viewport" to allow the user to
navigate through the diagram? I was thinking of displaying a thumbnail
with viewport in the top-left, with the main view being synchronised
to the viewport position/zoom level - for example, look at the 2D Zoom
example on http://www.ajax-zoom.com/. Something like Croppie might
help: http://foliotek.github.io/Croppie/ (as ajax-zoom is not free).

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Sanket Mehta
<sanket.mehta@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please do ignore previous patch as it contains trailing whitespaces.
> PFA the revised patch after resolving this issue.
>

> Regards,
> Sanket Mehta
> Sr Software engineer
> Enterprisedb
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Sanket Mehta
> <sanket.mehta@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> PFA the patch for graphical explain feature.
>>
>> It consists of explain.js, __init__.py and demo_explain.html, snap_svg.js
>> and snap_svg-min.js file.
>>
>> Currently I have placed hard coded JSON data in demo_explain.html file to
>> display graphical output; which will be replace by actual output user get
>> from server in JSON format.
>>
>> Use below URL to access graphical output:
>>
>> http://localhost:5050/misc/explain where 5050 is the port your web server
>> is running on
>>
>> To test the patch, user can replace plan data (stored in 'data' variable)
>> in demo_explain.html with other valid plan data in JSON format and run the
>> above URL.
>>
>> Please review the patch and provide comments for the same.
>>
>> TODO: Integration of graphical explain into sql editor
>>

>> Regards,
>> Sanket Mehta
>> Sr Software engineer
>> Enterprisedb

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Dave Page

Almost all the libraries that I have checked uses Jquery UI which is quite heavy.
Please share your comments about using these libraries.

What have you found?

Meanwhile currently I have implemented zoom in/out functionality in graphical explain.
I have added two buttons on left top corner of panel (see the attached screen shot),
which you can use to zoom in/out the graph.

Please do review it and let me know your comments about them.

I have tested the code, so no screenshots necessary :-).

The problem with the zoom is that it doesn't give you any visual indicators that there is something on the canvas. With a big plan, it'll just look blank, unless the user starts scrolling/zooming. The viewport will give instant hints to the user that there's a big plan there, albeit out of view, and allow them to very easily navigate it.

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Hi,

Almost all the libraries that I have checked uses Jquery UI which is quite heavy.
Please share your comments about using these libraries.

What have you found?
Below are the libraries I have checked out which uses JQUERY UI.

 - https://github.com/samcroft/mini-map (alpha release only)

 - http://codepen.io/billdwhite/pen/lCAdi (depends upon d3 library)

 - http://jsfiddle.net/danimt/ARVWA/ (depends upon L library)

Some of them uses or depends upon different libraries (mentioned besides the link)

> [...]

>> Regards,
>> Sanket Mehta
>> Sr Software engineer
>> Enterprisedb

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Dave Page

Almost all the libraries that I have checked uses Jquery UI which is quite heavy.
Please share your comments about using these libraries.

What have you found?
Below are the libraries I have checked out which uses JQUERY UI.

That one would work wound't it? Assuming it can do x and y movement.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Sanket Mehta

Almost all the libraries that I have checked uses Jquery UI which is quite heavy.
Please share your comments about using these libraries.

What have you found?
Below are the libraries I have checked out which uses JQUERY UI.

That one would work wound't it? Assuming it can do x and y movement.
I have tried to implement the same but it is not working properly as scrolling in minimap was not there and sometimes it was not showing the map itself.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Dave Page
Дата:
This looks awesome, and is MIT licenced:

http://www.jqueryrain.com/2016/01/imageviewer-jquery-zooming-and-panning-plugin/

[...]

Дата:
What is the status of this Sanket? I'd really like to see it completed
before alpha.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> This looks awesome, and is MIT licenced:
>
> http://www.jqueryrain.com/2016/01/imageviewer-jquery-zooming-and-panning-plugin/
>

> On Wednesday, April 20, 2016, Sanket Mehta <sanket.mehta@enterprisedb.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> That one would work wound't it? Assuming it can do x and y movement.
>>
>> I have tried to implement the same but it is not working properly as
>> scrolling in minimap was not there and sometimes it was not showing the map
>> itself.
>>

>>> --
>>> Dave Page
>>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>>> Twitter: @pgsnake
>>>
>>> EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
>>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>>>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: graphical explain

От
Sanket Mehta
Дата:
Hi,

I will start working on it once I will complete PEM 6.0.1 issues.
Now there is only 1 issue remaining in that bucket which I am currently working on

Regards,
Sanket Mehta
Sr Software engineer
Enterprisedb