Обсуждение: about LZMA SDK license

about LZMA SDK license

От
Quan Zongliang
Дата:
Hi, all

7-zip has a sdk: LZMA SDK.
webpage: http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

About its license: "LZMA SDK is placed in the public domain."
What's mean?

If we use it in our project. Which restriction?

7-zip license is here:
http://www.7-zip.org/license.txt

Regards.

Quan Zongliang
quanzongliang@gmail.com
CIT JAPAN: http://www.cit.co.jp
CIT CHINA: http://www.citbj.com.cn

Re: about LZMA SDK license

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> 7-zip has a sdk: LZMA SDK.
> webpage: http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html
>
> About its license: "LZMA SDK is placed in the public domain."
> What's mean?
>
> If we use it in our project. Which restriction?

It means you can do whatever you like with it. However, we need a
*very* good reason to add additional dependencies to the build. What
do you need it for?

--
Dave Page

Re: about LZMA SDK license

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It means you can do whatever you like with it. However, we need a
>> *very* good reason to add additional dependencies to the build. What
>> do you need it for?
> Sometimes, text file maybe archived with compressed format.
> Especialy huge size file. I think it is convenient that
> we supply a function to import from archived file directly.
>
> This is just a plan, one day we can implement it. But not now.
> So, first I want to discuss its license.

I'd suggest sticking with the ones we can already support unless
there's demand for lzma, eg.

wxZipInputStream
wxZlibInputStream
wxTarInputStream

--
Dave Page

Re: about LZMA SDK license

От
Quan Zongliang
Дата:
> It means you can do whatever you like with it. However, we need a
> *very* good reason to add additional dependencies to the build. What
> do you need it for?
Sometimes, text file maybe archived with compressed format.
Especialy huge size file. I think it is convenient that
we supply a function to import from archived file directly.

This is just a plan, one day we can implement it. But not now.
So, first I want to discuss its license.

Quan Zongliang
quanzongliang@gmail.com
CIT JAPAN: http://www.cit.co.jp
CIT CHINA: http://www.citbj.com.cn

Re: about LZMA SDK license

От
Quan Zongliang
Дата:
> I'd suggest sticking with the ones we can already support unless
> there's demand for lzma, eg.
>
> wxZipInputStream
> wxZlibInputStream
> wxTarInputStream
Great! I don't know them before.
This a best choice to use wxWidgets classes.

Quan Zongliang
quanzongliang@gmail.com
CIT JAPAN: http://www.cit.co.jp
CIT CHINA: http://www.citbj.com.cn

Re: about LZMA SDK license

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Quan Zongliang
<quanzongliang@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd suggest sticking with the ones we can already support unless
>> there's demand for lzma, eg.
>>
>> wxZipInputStream
>> wxZlibInputStream
>> wxTarInputStream
> Great! I don't know them before.
> This a best choice to use wxWidgets classes.

Absolutely. I've only used wzZipInputStream before, but it seemed to
work quite well - there's code in the stackbuilder project on
pgFoundry.

iirc, there is also a wxGzipInputStream class out there, probably on
wxCode or similar.

--
Dave Page