Обсуждение: Bugs created by new UI / Introduction of wxaui

Bugs created by new UI / Introduction of wxaui

От
"Florian G. Pflug"
Дата:
Hi

I tried my nightly build of trunk on OSX now, and noticed the following
bugs and problems
.) When I remove the "Object Browser" pane by clickng the little "x",
    I found now way to get that pane to display again. The corresponding
    entry in the view-menu is still checked, and even unchecking and
    checking it doesn't bring the pane back. The only way to restore is
    was to close pgadmin3, manually edit the preferences file, and reopen
    pgadmin3 :-(
.) The toolbar looks ugly now, because the "used" and "unused" parts
    of the toolbar ("used" meaning "actually containing icons", while
    "unused" means "the space spanning from the rightmost icon to the
    right edge of the window) have different backgrounds.
.) The "connection-chooser-dropdown" doesn't fit into the toobar
    anymore (See screenshots)
.) The detach-able toolbar show the same problems as the panes
    in the main window - if you remove then the menu entry stays
    checked. Unchecking and checking, however, at least makes them
    reappear.
.) Disabling an reenabling panes is broken for most cases. An example:
    1) Disable results pane
    2) Disable messages pane
    3) Reenable both
    4) Now the are displayed on top of each other, which no way to
       restore the default split-screen configuration.
.) The same is true for
.) The default split-screen configuration of the sql-window feels
    like waste of precious screen real estate. On my 1024x786
    laptop screen even the titlebars of the panes feel like
    waste of space.

All in all, at least on OSX and with a rather small screen, using
the new version is a lot more painfull than using the old one.

Is there a chance that there could be at least a compile-time switch
to disable the new ui?

You can find a few screenshots at
http://phlo.im-all.net/pgadmin3-screenshots/

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Bugs created by new UI / Introduction of

От
Dave Page

On 5/7/06 16:57, "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I tried my nightly build of trunk on OSX now, and noticed the following
> bugs and problems
> .) When I remove the "Object Browser" pane by clickng the little "x",
>     I found now way to get that pane to display again. The corresponding
>     entry in the view-menu is still checked, and even unchecking and
>     checking it doesn't bring the pane back. The only way to restore is
>     was to close pgadmin3, manually edit the preferences file, and reopen
>     pgadmin3 :-(

Fixed. Typo caused that.

> .) The toolbar looks ugly now, because the "used" and "unused" parts
>     of the toolbar ("used" meaning "actually containing icons", while
>     "unused" means "the space spanning from the rightmost icon to the
>     right edge of the window) have different backgrounds.

I'm sure that can be tweaked. Will look into it.

> .) The "connection-chooser-dropdown" doesn't fit into the toobar
>     anymore (See screenshots)

Yeah - looks like a Mac specific sizing issue. Will investigate.

> .) The detach-able toolbar show the same problems as the panes
>     in the main window - if you remove then the menu entry stays
>     checked. Unchecking and checking, however, at least makes them
>     reappear.

That one I was aware of. Closing undocked windows doesn't currently raise
the appropriate event so pgAdmin doesn't see that it's gone. I need to look
at wxAUI for that one.

> .) Disabling an reenabling panes is broken for most cases. An example:
>     1) Disable results pane
>     2) Disable messages pane
>     3) Reenable both
>     4) Now the are displayed on top of each other, which no way to
>        restore the default split-screen configuration.

I cannot reproduce that. I'm running wx 2.6.3 and waAUI 0.9.2 on OSX 10.4.7

> .) The default split-screen configuration of the sql-window feels
>     like waste of precious screen real estate. On my 1024x786
>     laptop screen even the titlebars of the panes feel like
>     waste of space.

It looks a little crowded on my 12" Powerbook, but then it always did - the
OSX controls can be quite chunky. I think what makes it worse is that the
results are shown in the wxGrid control which is less space-efficient than
the old wxListView.

> All in all, at least on OSX and with a rather small screen, using
> the new version is a lot more painfull than using the old one.
>
> Is there a chance that there could be at least a compile-time switch
> to disable the new ui?

Hmm, one could probably be retro-fitted, but given that this is dev code I'm
far more interested in fixing the platform specific bugs first.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Dave.

PS. I'm at the conference for the next week or so so don't know when I'll
get to this...

Dave Page wrote:
>> .) Disabling an reenabling panes is broken for most cases. An example:
>>     1) Disable results pane
>>     2) Disable messages pane
>>     3) Reenable both
>>     4) Now the are displayed on top of each other, which no way to
>>        restore the default split-screen configuration.
>
> I cannot reproduce that. I'm running wx 2.6.3 and waAUI 0.9.2 on OSX 10.4.7
Have a look at
http://phlo.im-all.net/pgadmin3-screenshots/sqlwindow-overlappingpanes.tiff.
I made this screenshot after carrying out the steps above.
I'm running wx 2.6.3, wxaui 0.9.2 on 10.4.7 too, but my build-server is still
running 10.3. If builds made on 10.4 don't show that behaviour, I guess
I have to consider upgrading the server to 10.4

Another, related problem show up if I resize a panes in the sql window.
If I "pull" the splitter beyond the border of the window, there is no
way to make the pane smaller again. (Or at least I didn't find one).

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Bugs created by new UI / Introduction of

От
"Dave Page"

Oh, I don't disbelieve you - I just can't recreate it myself!

> If builds made on 10.4 don't show that
> behaviour, I guess
> I have to consider upgrading the server to 10.4

Do you have 10.4 running anywhere that you can try a build? If so, does
the resulting binary work on both 10.4 and 10.3?

> Another, related problem show up if I resize a panes in the
> sql window.
> If I "pull" the splitter beyond the border of the window, there is no
> way to make the pane smaller again. (Or at least I didn't find one).

I'm thinking of adding a 'Default Layout' option. I've often wanted one
on other apps. Regardless though, I think my fix for your background
colour issue might also resolve this. I think the window border is
throwing off the sizing, so I was thinking of using a dummy frame as the
parent for all the controls instead of the windows itself. It would also
have it's bg color set appropriately.

/D

Dave Page wrote:
>> From: Florian G. Pflug [mailto:fgp@phlo.org]
>> An example:
>>> I cannot reproduce that. I'm running wx 2.6.3 and waAUI
>> 0.9.2 on OSX 10.4.7
>> Have a look at
>> http://phlo.im-all.net/pgadmin3-screenshots/sqlwindow-overlapp
>> ingpanes.tiff.
>> I made this screenshot after carrying out the steps above.
>> I'm running wx 2.6.3, wxaui 0.9.2 on 10.4.7 too, but my
>> build-server is still
>> running 10.3.
>
> Oh, I don't disbelieve you - I just can't recreate it myself!
I didn't assume that you don't believe me ;-)
I just hoped that, when looking at the screenshot, you might get
an idea of what might be wrong ;-)

>> If builds made on 10.4 don't show that
>> behaviour, I guess
>> I have to consider upgrading the server to 10.4
> Do you have 10.4 running anywhere that you can try a build? If so, does
> the resulting binary work on both 10.4 and 10.3?
I have 10.4 running on my powerbook. So I actually _ran_ the builds on
10.4, but they where _created_ on 10.3. I didn't upgrade the build server
to 10.4 yet specifically because I wanted to binaries to work on 10.3 -
but I'll have to admin that I never actually tested them on 10.3. I assumed
then if they were built on 10.3, and if they work on 10.4 (my laptop), then
they'd work on 10.3 too ;-)

I'll try building on 10.4, but it'll take me a while, because I have to build
wx first, and my laptop is old and slow..

greetings, Florian Pflug