Обсуждение: Build System/translations

Build System/translations

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Jean-Michel,

I've just been working on the slackware build system to remove the need
to maintain the script when adding translations etc - it is now
dependent on 'make install' working correctly as I suspect most of the
other build systems are (btw, if anyone has any additional scripts that
aren't in their pkg directory, please let me have them to put in CVS,
even if they are system specific).

One thing I noticed was there is still a src/ui/ar directory being
included in the build - I thought this was added by mistake and later
removed (or supposed to be)? It's certainly not listed on the
translations page.

Anyway, my point is, how correct is the list of translations in
src/Makefile.am? Should it be restricted to those that are listed in the
'published' section of the website?

On another note, there was talk again of a translators list the other
day. Is this something you would like?

Cheers, Dave.

Re: Build System/translations

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>Anyway, my point is, how correct is the list of translations in
>src/Makefile.am? Should it be restricted to those that are listed in the
>'published' section of the website?

I'd vote for that. My snapshots are restricted to published languages.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Build System/translations

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Dear Dave,

Sorry for the late reply.

> I've just been working on the slackware build system to remove the need
> to maintain the script when adding translations etc - it is now
> dependent on 'make install' working correctly as I suspect most of the
> other build systems are (btw, if anyone has any additional scripts that
> aren't in their pkg directory, please let me have them to put in CVS,
> even if they are system specific).
>
> One thing I noticed was there is still a src/ui/ar directory being
> included in the build - I thought this was added by mistake and later
> removed (or supposed to be)? It's certainly not listed on the
> translations page.

You are right. Removed.

> Anyway, my point is, how correct is the list of translations in
> src/Makefile.am? Should it be restricted to those that are listed in the
> 'published' section of the website?

Why not add files using ui/*_*/pgadmin3.*o as all translations will be
delivered sooner or later. This is free software: there is no need to manage
too much. pgAdmin3 is not a production "hub" with inputs and outputs (and
"downsizings"). The projects is more like electons flying around a kernel.

Andreas proposed to restrict the list to the published web site section. Do
what you both prefer. This may be a good idea, I don't know...

> On another note, there was talk again of a translators list the other
> day. Is this something you would like?

Thanks, but there is no need. We can manage translations separately on the
basis of our personal feelings, etc... Everything works fine until now. If
something goes wrong, just send the email to the list.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel Pouré

Re: Build System/translations

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Jean-Michel,

No problem.

> > One thing I noticed was there is still a src/ui/ar directory being
> > included in the build - I thought this was added by mistake
> and later
> > removed (or supposed to be)? It's certainly not listed on the
> > translations page.
>
> You are right. Removed.

Thanks.

> > Anyway, my point is, how correct is the list of translations in
> > src/Makefile.am? Should it be restricted to those that are
> listed in
> > the 'published' section of the website?
>
> Why not add files using ui/*_*/pgadmin3.*o as all
> translations will be
> delivered sooner or later. This is free software: there is no
> need to manage
> too much. pgAdmin3 is not a production "hub" with inputs and
> outputs (and
> "downsizings"). The projects is more like electons flying
> around a kernel.

That's what I was doing in the win32 releases, but it struck me that we
were including languages at 0% status. As pgAdmin gives the option to
use any language it finds a directory for (never mind if there is
anything in it), it meant we were offering translations that basically
don't exist. I can see the emails now: 'I selected Klingon, but got
English - why?'

> Andreas proposed to restrict the list to the published web
> site section. Do
> what you both prefer. This may be a good idea, I don't know...

I have added a note to both the makefile.am and
cnt_translation_status.php to this effect for the time being. We can
always change it later.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Build System/translations

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mardi 9 Septembre 2003 14:37, vous avez écrit :
> I can see the emails now: 'I selected Klingon, but got
> English - why?'

That's the kind of email we are looking for. If a translator did not deliver
for a month or so, then someone may ask to take over the translation.

This is a question of team relationtionship between the translator and other
developers. "Zero percent" is like a commitment to deliver. We are all part
of the same team. If you remove the untranslated language, there is less
commitment to deliver. As usual, these are only my ideas...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Build System/translations

От
"Dave Page"

I don;t want to remove them from the website/CVS - just from binary releases. We don't need complaints about missing
languagesfrom end users to tell us that something is untranslated - that's what the translation status page is for
(isn'tit?)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Build System/translations

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mardi 9 Septembre 2003 14:58, vous avez écrit :
> I don;t want to remove them from the website/CVS - just from binary
> releases.

This is what I understood.

> We don't need complaints about missing languages from end users
> to tell us that something is untranslated - that's what the translation
> status page is for (isn't it?)

A complainer is a potential translator. I already received two complaints of
that kind. If you don't publish 0% translations, you wron't get complaints.

Anyway, this is a minor problem as all translators will deliver. Do what you
prefer, really. I now focus on search engine registration.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Build System/translations

От
"Dave Page"

I would much rather see 'My language isn't listed - can I provide a
translation for you?', than 'My language is listed but doesn't work -
can I help fix that for you?'

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

>>A complainer is a potential translator. I already received
>>two complaints of
>>that kind. If you don't publish 0% translations, you wron't
>>get complaints.
>>

>I would much rather see 'My language isn't listed - can I provide a
>translation for you?', than 'My language is listed but doesn't work -
>can I help fix that for you?'

I just changed the doc, with a paragraph stating "there are more
languages, check at our website" with a hyperlink.

Regards,
Andreas