Обсуждение: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
I am in the process of making *major* changes to the pgAdmin code to
support Schemas in the upcoming PostgreSQL 7.3 release.

I would like to remove the Revision Control feature from pgAdmin 1.3 for
the following reasons:

1) It is difficult to maintain. Removing the code will make Schema
implementation significantly easier.

2) It is of limited use (for example, rolling back a table will lose its
data, rolling back other objects like functions or views may break
functions, views, triggers, indexes etc that are dependant on that
object).

3) It isn't particuarly reliable. RC Status is often reported
incorrectly.

4) I suspect few, if any users actually make use of the feature
(including myself!).

Does anyone have any objections or comments?

Regards, Dave.

Re: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
"Rod Taylor"
Дата:
Thats fair.  The ability to rollback most changes isn't overly useful.
What is useful is the ability to replay commands on another database.

I suggest a good replacement would be a simple 'log' mode which writes
text based queries to a log file.  PGAdmin should be able to play an
arbitrary text file against a database connection.  This would
preserve most of the functionality and should be straight forward to
implement.   The only catch is it shouldn't have the select queries in
it which the PGAdmin uses to determine structure.
--
Rod

broadcast)---------------------------
majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
"Dave Page"

Umm, I already implemented that when you requested it some months ago
:-). It was one of the first features to be added to the 1.3 dev
version. All queries are now tagged with a type - User (ones you type
in), Datagrid (generated by the datagrid when you edit data) & System
(the ones you want to ignore) and you can select any combination to be
logged to a text file.

Regards, Dave.

Re: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Mercredi 1 Mai 2002 23:09, Dave Page a écrit :
> Does anyone have any objections or comments?

Dear all,

There were discussions on hackers months ago about rollback using WAL (point
to point recovery?) and object tracing (something like SET TRACE ON ...). I
don't think it will be implemented in 7.3.

By the way, do you know if CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW will be part of 7.3?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
"Dave Page"

What do you mean by object tracing? If you mean dependency tracking, I believe Rod's working on that now.

> By the way, do you know if CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW will be part of 7.3?

Gavin(?) said he'd try to do it, but at least we have pseudo modification now.

Regards, Dave.

Re: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
"Dave Page"

Oh, I see. That sounds like a nice feature. Probably possible in pgAdmin, though I think schema support is going to
keepme busy for a while. pgAdmin dies horribly in many places with the current 7.3 code :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: RFC: Removal of Revision Control

От
"Rod Taylor"
Дата:
> > I suggest a good replacement would be a simple 'log' mode
> > which writes text based queries to a log file.  PGAdmin
> > should be able to play an arbitrary text file against a
> > database connection.  This would preserve most of the
> > functionality and should be straight forward to
> > implement.   The only catch is it shouldn't have the select
queries in
> > it which the PGAdmin uses to determine structure.
>
> Umm, I already implemented that when you requested it some months
ago
> :-). It was one of the first features to be added to the 1.3 dev
> version. All queries are now tagged with a type - User (ones you
type
> in), Datagrid (generated by the datagrid when you edit data) &
System
> (the ones you want to ignore) and you can select any combination to
be
> logged to a text file.

Erm, sorry.  I don't use the dev version ;)

Thanks :)