Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading postgresql minor version

От Ron Ben
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Upgrading postgresql minor version
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I think you miss understood me.
pg_dump dumps the data. the tables, functions and the data saved in them.
I have daily backups for this so i'm not worried.

What i'm woried about are the "executables files". These files are what is actualy being updated when you update the version.
I want to be able to roll them back in case of upgrade failure without rolling back the data.

Basicly what I want is to save on the side all the files that will be change by the update and in case of failure just to replace them back.
Is it doable? How?

ב מאי 10, 2017 16:27, Adrian Klaver כתב:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pg-dumpall.html

> It says that only system files are changed during upgrade... which
> folders exactly I need to save on the side for roll back?

I would say that would depend on the nature of the release changes.

> I know I can take a snap shoot of my server before the update but i'm
> affried that rolling back to this snap shoot will also roll back the
> data itself?
> Since after the update the users continue to work I don't want to lose
> thier data.

Well if the upgrade takes then you don't need to rollback. If it did not
then the users did not get any work done or any data they entered would
be considered suspect. If you are concerned then take another pg_dumpall
before rolling back.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com