Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?

От Gunnar R|nning
Тема Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Morten W. Petersen" <morten@esol.no> writes:

> I'm wondering if postgres could be capable of acting as a
> mail storage.  This would imply storing messages, from
> 1KB to > 100MB in size.  The expected volume is 4000
> messages a day, and the database may store up to,
> lets say, 500000 messages.
>
> Could postgres cope with this?  (How is the support for
> big data fields now BTW?)

I've been interested in the same thing. I don't think your message volume
should be a problem from my previous experience with pgsql. The issues
would probably be around the message size, 7.1 has TOAST which allows
arbitrary  sized tuples but I don't know how the performance would be for
something like a mailstorage. Do anybody else have any comments on how the
upcoming 7.1 would perform in this area ?

[BTW. I would like to use it has a storage for James(An apache mail server)
and possibly different mail archive solutions.]

Regards,

    Gunnar