Re: Re: Data type confusion

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Re: Data type confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Tom,

> Curiously enough, ANSI doesn't define an INTERVAL-divided-by-INTERVAL
> function either.  Also, it rather looks like ANSI adopted the
> position
> Peter E. expressed:
>
>          Year-month intervals are mutually comparable only with other
> year-
>          month intervals. [...]
>          Day-time intervals are mutually comparable only with other
> day-
>          time intervals. [...]
>          Operations involving items of type datetime require that the
> date-
>          time items be mutually comparable. Operations involving
> items of
>          type interval require that the interval items be mutually
> compara-
>          ble.

Hmmm ... does this mean that I couldn't divide '1 year' by '1 week'?  I
can certaily see not allowing division of '1 year' by '28 seconds' as it
spares us a whole bunch of calendar-generated fuzziness.

It seems to me that:

years,months,weeks,days / years,months,weeks,days is OK, and
days,hours,minutes,seconds / days,hours,minutes,seconds is also easy,
but
years,months,weeks / hours,minutes,seconds is where we get in trouble.

So I propose that we suppot the first two and disallow the third.

Thus I think that we can adhere to the spec, while still providing the
functionality developers want and avoiding a whole lot of '5 months 11
minutes' type headaches.

-Josh