Re: Still stuck on a left join

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Still stuck on a left join
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Ari,

> I've been stuck now on a left join for about two weeks. DB is
> MSaccess2K,
> language is ASP. I'm learning php and PgSQL now, and will be
> migrating
> everything soon. In the mean time. If anyone knows where I am going
> wrong,
> please let me know.

Shame on you!

Seriously, you'd probably spend less time learning how to use PostgreSQL
than on getting around Access2k's "features."

One of these "features" is a fussy query optimizer that frequently
rejects perfectly valid query strings.  This is why I charge my clients
$40/hour more to work with Access2k.

Try monkeying with the parentheses in the JOIN expression:

(a LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.1 = b.1) LEFT OUTER JOIN c ON b.2 = c.1

.. may work, where ...

a LEFT OUTER JOIN b ON a.1 = b.1 LEFT OUTER JOIN c ON b.2 = c.1

... does not.

Also try it without aliasing the tables.

If you need further help with MS Access, give me a call ... but I charge
hourly for Microsoft stuff!

-Josh