Re: Caching of Queries

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Caching of Queries
Дата
Re: Caching of Queries (now with pgpool)
Список pgsql-performance
Jason,

> Sorry, I meant 30,000 with 300 connections - not 3,000.  The 300
> connections
> / second is realistic, if not underestimated.  As is the nature of
> our site
> (realtime information about online gaming), there's a huge fan base
> and as a
> big upset happens, we'll do 50,000 page views in a span of 3-5
> minutes.

First, your posts show no evidences of the CS storm bug.

Second, 300 *new* connections a second is a lot.   Each new connection
requires a significant amount of both database and OS overhead.   This
is why all the other web developers use a connection pool.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your lockups are on the OS level,
even; I don't recall that you cited what OS you're using, but I can
imagine locking up Linux 2.4 trying to spawn 300 new processes a
second.

--Josh