Re: Caching of Queries

От Jason Coene
Тема Re: Caching of Queries
Дата
Re: Caching of Queries
Список pgsql-performance
Hi All,

It does sound like we should be pooling connections somehow.  I'll be
looking at implementing that shortly.  I'd really like to understand what
the actual problem is, though.

Sorry, I meant 30,000 with 300 connections - not 3,000.  The 300 connections
/ second is realistic, if not underestimated.  As is the nature of our site
(realtime information about online gaming), there's a huge fan base and as a
big upset happens, we'll do 50,000 page views in a span of 3-5 minutes.

I get the same results with:

ab -n 10000 -c 150 http://www.gotfrag.com/portal/news/

I've attached results from the above test, showing open locks, top output,
and vmstat 5.

Tom, I've run the test described in:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php

Results attached in mptest.txt.  The box did experience the same problems as
we've seen before.  I ran it under a separate database (test), and it still
caused our other queries to slow significantly from our production database
(gf) - semwait again.

It does look like the "cs" column under CPU (which I'd assume is Context
Swap) does bump up significantly (10x or better) during both my ab test, and
the test you suggested in that archived message.

Reading the first thread you pointed out (2004-04/msg00249.php), Josh Berkus
was questioning the ServerWorks chipsets.  We're running on the Intel E7501
Chipset (MSI board).  Our CPU's are 2.66 GHz with 533MHz FSB, Hyperthreading
enabled.  Unfortunately, I don't have physical access to the machine to turn
HT off.

Thanks,

Jason

Вложения