Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names

От Amir Rohan
Тема Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names
Дата
Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names
Список pgsql-docs
On Monday, September 21, 2015, Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> wrote:

>> From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-select.html[http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql->>
select.html](and previous version too):

On Monday, September 21, 2015, David G. Johnston wrote:

> Neither of those examples is:
>
> SELECT * AS "how would one alias this?" FROM table
>
> So what's your point?

My point is that "In these cases it is not possible to specify new names with AS" is misleading because
it *is* possible and useful, but requires syntax which isn't clearly shown (if at all) where I'd expect it.
I think that could be improved.

> Obviously you can alias stuff before it makes its way into a select-list that refers to it using *

"obvious" to whom? probably not to someone who's level of SQL mastery has brought him/her to reading
the exciting "SELECT" documentation. I do see your point though, in the grammar the "AS" in my example
belongs not to `output_name ` but to `from_item`. So this syntax is hidden away behind the `column_alias`
production.

> In this case the FROM clause is what is being aliased.  It is documented though I'd need to look to
> identify the specific location.

This belongs in the page describing SELECT, and though I've looked I haven't found it. If I'm wrong (
I did look again just now), please correct me.

Amir

Сообщение: Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names
Сообщение: Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names