Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names

От Amir Rohan
Тема Re: Docs claim that "select myTable.*" wildcard won't let you assign column names
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Monday, September 21, 2015, David G. Johnston wrote:

>To be honest, if you have a situation where you think you need to alias "*"
>you should probably be expanding that "*" out into individual column names
>anyway, which you can easily alias.

That depends. If my table has 30 columns and I just need to rename
the first couple, then I probably would find that advice unreasonable.

>The docs don't make a big deal of alising other than noting individually
>where they can happen (cte, from clause, select-list) and few questions
>that are raised are probably better served to be simply handled on these
>lists than cluttering the docs.

What constitutes "clutter", or what is "obvious", really  depends on who is
making the assertion. A pg veteran's views probably don't mirrort those of the
person you'd typically find actually reading the docs, trying to figure out how
to write the query they want.

But yeah,  the pg documentation isn't the best resource to pick up SQL from
(nor is is their purpose), and no patch I'd submit would really change that.
So, we're done.

Amir