Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed

От Amir Rohan
Тема Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On 09/28/2015 04:07 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
>> On 2015-09-28 08:44:18 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>> My hope is to convince Magnus to add that (or maybe I'll try and write
>>> it myself..) and then have a macro in mutt which grabs the Message-ID of
>>> the current message and pulls down the mbox and opens it.

The montly mbox only updates once a day, you sometimes need to wait for
several hours to send a reply, so a single-message mbox would be
helpful. But the "mail me a copy" link solution would be even better,
and would works with all mail clients out of the box.

> <...> having the ability to pull down an mbox format of just
> the thread would be helpful.  That's a capability which I'm also
> interested in and which could be useful to a lot of people, regardless
> of their mail client.

If you use mutt, you're good, but I don't. How friendly is the following
process is, keeping in mind that this is what a new member of the
community, interacting for the first time, goes through:

1. Oh! Good thread on pgsql-hackers, I think we should paint it
azure blue. Let's send my first message to the list!
2. Wait, what's the address to send to? looks around (but that's ok)
3. Now, how do I get my message into the thread? (prolonged googling
and SO/superuser hunting)
4. Oh, I need a copy of the original message (no header editing in my
email client. Many users use webmail) How do I get one?
Alternatively, how do I edit headers in gmail/web, and what exactly
do I need to add (google some more).
5. aha, the website provides mbox, let's go!
6. Wait, I need to register to download? this is getting ridiculous.
7. Register. Refresh*3. Get an a email. click the verify link.
9. Ok, how do I import the mbox into my client? (googling some more)
10. Need an addon, (googling, choosing among alternatives). Install.
Restart.
11. Ok, ready, how do I use it? (create a special mail folder, import mbox).
12. 1500 messages, what was the thread name again (go to browser, find
thread, search, locate thread, located message).
13. Hit reply and post.

Getting from 1 to 13 can take well over an hour, perhaps two.
By that time, you may not remember why you started this whole thing
in the first place and have formed a fairly strong impression of
life in postgresville.

And soon after *that*, you learn there's no bugtracker.

Regards,
Amir

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed
Сообщение: Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed