Re: Antw: Re: File for /src/backend/port/netware

От Ulrich Neumann
Тема Re: Antw: Re: File for /src/backend/port/netware
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Peter, Tom,

good point to mention GNU. GNU is able to build NetWare binaries.

I'll move everything to GNU now (why didn't I get this idea by
myself?)
so I can use the available makefiles.

Give me some time and I'll come back with another way to build
PostgreSQL on NetWare.

Ulrich

>>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> 15.08.2002 19:47:14 >>>
> This isn't a port anymore, it's almost an alternative implementation.
 The
> maintenance headaches are severe.  If we installed your files today,
they
> would be outdated next week guaranteed.

My thought also.  The problem with an 800K port directory is not just
that it bloats the distribution, it's that those files have to be kept
in sync with the rest of the system.  A local copy of pg_config.h,
for example, is just plain foolish.  All of the .def and .imp files
are maintenance problems waiting to happen, too.  (Can't these be made
on-the-fly during build, instead of being source files we have to
maintain?)  And zipping the .mcp file doesn't alter my objection to it
one bit, just makes it even *less* like an editable source file.

The most recent version of the patch is noticeably cleaner than the
one
before, but still it's a maintenance nightmare...

> I suggest you start looking for Netware ports of GNU make, a POSIX
shell,
> and related utilities.  Then many things should fall into place.

If you don't have GNU make and a shell, I don't think it's reasonable
try to run Postgres.  There are just too many places that you'd have
duplicate code.

            regards, tom lane
  This e-mail is virus scanned
  Diese e-mail ist virusgeprueft