Re: Antw: Re: File for /src/backend/port/netware

От Ulrich Neumann
Тема Re: Antw: Re: File for /src/backend/port/netware
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Hi Bruce,

thanks for your answer.

The zip file contains only the files that needs to be placed in
/src/backend/port/netware.
There is nothing in it that needs to be placed elsewhere.

(Apache has just the zip file in the NetWare specific file and that's
it. Everybody who
wants to compile Apache needs to unpack the archive first)

I'm also working on the C libraries on NetWare and my plan is to add
everything that's
neccessary for Postgres to the standard C library so that I can reduce
the NetWare
specific stuff over the time.

The other patches are changes to other files, but only very small ones.
For the moment
that's all that is neccessary to compile it and to get the databse and
most interfaces, PSQL,
pg_dump and so on working on NetWare.

At the moment I have a project at Sourceforge where I let others
download tarballs.
Starting in september there we want to have links on Novells website
where people can
find the sources of PostgreSQL and Novell want to provide a binary
package of PostgreSQL.

My idea was to submit the code as soon as PostgreSQL is running on
NetWare and
from that point on I want to contribute to Postgres at all. I regulary
check the ToDo
List and I want to help there. This same Novell is doing with other
open source
projects. They have dedicated people who works only on one specific
open source
project and my place is PostgreSQL.

best regards

Ulrich
Ulrich Neumann wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> i've worked on the OS specific stuff to reduce and consolidate it.
> I've switched to use a compressed MetroWerks project file and
> i've removed everything that isn't really necessary.
>
> It looks much better now I think and I hope you like it.
>
> Is it possible that I can maintain the Netware specific stuff so you
> don't
> have to worry about these files?

I looked at this zip file and I don't understand it.  Are these files
in
addition to the patches you already submitted?  I don't see any
patches
in the zip file.  I want to go back over you submissions and get one
big
patch so we can see where to go.

As for you maintaining it, sure you can do that as a separate tarball
that fits over top our existing tarball, or you can apply your patches
and ship your own tarball with no restrictions whatsoever.  We can
even
mix it, where a few of your patches are in our code, just to make sure
any code drift tracks your #ifdef's, and you can add files and
distribute your own tarball.  Sometimes, for early ports, it is easier
to distribute your own tarball because you can make adjustments
independent of our release cycle.

  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073