Re: Hi,

От Brian Kitzberger
Тема Re: Hi,
Дата
Re: Hi,  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

I decided to test your theory that I had an old version of Postgres on
my system when I installed version 8.1.3.  By the way, the Linux install
we a fresh one to start with.  So this morning I first did a search on
my system for all pg_dump files, and wrote the locations down.  I them
removed the entire file structure of postgresql-8.1.3 from my system.  I
then did a system search for pg_dump again to confirm that all files by
the name of pg_dump were removed, which they were.  I then re-installed
PostgreSQL version 8.1.3.  After completing, I did a system search for
the pg_dump again and found them in the locations I expected.  I them
recreated my database and tested the pg_dump.  I got the same error.
Version mismatch with the same version numbers as before.  I think that
an old version of pg_dump is bundled up with the install of version
8.1.3.  How can I get the correct version of pg_dump?  Or any of the
other files that are not the correct version?

Brian

"Brian Kitzberger" <KITZBERGERB@mail.co.stanislaus.ca.us> writes:
> When I did I get "pg_dump: server version: 8.1.3; pg_dump version:
> 7.4.8"

Apparently you already had a 7.4.8 postgres installed on your machine.
Most versions of Linux do have PG in them.  You probably want to
remove
the 7.4.8 files to avoid confusion like this.

> The dump also failed with this error:
> Error message from server: ERROR: column "datpath" does not exist

That's because that version of pg_dump is too old to understand the
8.1
server's catalog layout.  There's a good reason why it refused to dump
from a newer server by default; it knows it probably ain't gonna work.

            regards, tom lane

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend