Re: [ADMIN] Running Windows binaries from non-English folder

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Running Windows binaries from non-English folder
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Yuri Martsinovsky schrieb am 07.11.2017 um 20:30:
> I put PostgreSQL binary files in Windows in a folder with Russian name, for example:
> C:\Постгрес
>
> When I run pg_ctl.exe from the Command Prompt from this current directory I get the following error:
> could not find a "pg_ctl.exe" to execute
>
> pg_ctl.exe file is actually there and it runs, but just prints the above error to the console.
>
> If I run
> "C:\Постгрес\pg_ctl.exe"
> I get this error:
> invalid binary: "C:\????????\pg_ctl.exe"
>
> The same happens when running initdb.exe
> Looks like the utility just cannot access its own file because of the russian characters.
>
> The OS is Windows 10
> I tried running "chcp 65001" in the console window to set UTF-8 encoding for the console.
>
> Similar errors happen if I put the binaries in English folder, but try to run initdb for a non-english data folder
>
> Does PostgreSQL for Windows support directories in UTF-8 or other encoding?

I have encountered that as well even with plain ASCII names, but with spaces in it.

Try

"C:\Постгрес\"pg_ctl.exe

(That is: only quote the path, not the actual executable)

I think this happens if you start pg_ctl using an administrator account.
pg_ctl drops the privileges then and restarts itself (or something like that) but it fails to extract the filename
correctlyif everything is quoted.

Thomas