Re: pessimal trivial-update performance

От Pierre C
Тема Re: pessimal trivial-update performance
Дата
Re: pessimal trivial-update performance  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> The problem can generally be written as "tuples seeing multiple
> updates in the same transaction"?
>
> I think that every time PostgreSQL is used with an ORM, there is
> a certain amount of multiple updates taking place. I have actually
> been reworking clientside to get around multiple updates, since they
> popped up in one of my profiling runs. Allthough the time I optimized
> away ended being both "roundtrip time" + "update time", but having
> the database do half of it transparently, might have been sufficient
> to get me to have had a bigger problem elsewhere..
>
> To sum up. Yes I think indeed it is a real-world case.
>
> Jesper

On the Python side, elixir and sqlalchemy have an excellent way of
handling this, basically when you start a transaction, all changes are
accumulated in a "session" object and only flushed to the database on
session commit (which is also generally the transaction commit). This has
multiple advantages, for instance it is able to issue multiple-line
statements, updates are only done once, you save a lot of roundtrips, etc.
Of course it is most of the time not compatible with database triggers, so
if there are triggers the ORM needs to be told about them.