Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows

От PFC
Тема Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> I am using the c-library interface and for these particular transactions
> I preload PREPARE statements. Then as I get requests, I issue a BEGIN,
> followed by at most 300 EXECUTES and then a COMMIT. That is the
> general scenario. What value beyond 300 should I try?
> Thanks.

    Do you have PREPARE statements whose performance might change as the
table grows ?

    I mean, some selects, etc... in that case if you start with an empty
table, after inserting say 100K rows you might want to just disconnect,
reconnect and analyze to trigger replanning of those statements.

> Also, how might COPY (which involves file I/O) improve the
> above scenario?

    It won't but if you see that COPY is very much faster than your INSERT
based process it will give you a useful piece of information.

    I understand your problem is :

- Create table with indexes
- Insert batches of rows
- After a while it gets slow

    Try :

- Create table with indexes
- COPY huge batch of rows
- Compare time with above

    Since COPY also updates the indexes just like your inserts do it will
tell you if it's the indexes which slow you down or something else.

    Also for insert heavy loads it's a good idea to put the xlog on a
separate disk (to double your disk bandwidth) unless you have a monster
disk setup.

    During your INSERTs, do you also make some SELECTs ? Do you have triggers
on the table ? Foreign keys ? Anything ?
    How much RAM you have ? And can you measure the size of the table+indexes
when it gets slow ?

Сообщение: Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows
Сообщение: Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows