Re: "1-Click" installer problems

От Dave Page
Тема Re: "1-Click" installer problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>
>> All the posts seem to share the same root cause: the data directory has
>> been put into "c:\Program Files" but a regular user does not have write
>> permissions on that directory.
>
> Yep. They're also often confused by various steps people have tried
> while attempting to get it working, making it very hard to trace what
> actually happened initially and why.

Actually, most errors used to happen when the user wasn't using that
directory. We finally tracked down what we believe to be the primary
outstanding cause of initdb failures and fixed it for 8.4.3/8.3.10 btw
- it took a brainstorming session and a great deal of thought from
Magnus and I, as well as the help of a user from a US .gov site with
very tight security procedures to track it down.

>> I do not like the installer's suggestion to put the data directory into
>> c:\Program Files either, I think this should default to %APPDATA%

The reasons why we do that have been discussed here before - check the archives.

As a point of reference - wanna guess where Microsoft SQL Server puts
it's data by default?

--
Dave Page