Re: Question about DB VACUUM

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Question about DB VACUUM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
In the last exciting episode, cjwhite@cisco.com ("Chris White (cjwhite)") wrote:
> BTW, the connection I shutdown, had not read, written or deleted any
> large objects. It had read and written to other tables. This is causing
> me concern as I am using a thread pool to provide access to the data in
> the large object table, and this seems to imply I have to close each
> connection after reading/writing or deleting a large object in order for
> me to truly reclaim unused space when I issue my periodic vacuum
> command.

Yup, that sounds like a more-than-vaguely familiar story...

The implication may not be _precisely_ correct, but the difference
between what you're expecting and reality seems to be difficult to get
at.

I would expect that if you fired a (perhaps trivial) transaction
through each of the connections once in a while, that would "clear
things up" too.  How to accomplish that may be the challenge...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html