Re: Does PostgreSQL Stores its database in multiple disks?

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL Stores its database in multiple disks?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when igor@providerst.com.br ("Igor Maciel Macaubas") would write:
> Heather, I might be able to do it. Let me check .. I can buy a cheap
> RAID IDE controller and try to mount everything as one.

You'd be about as well off, if you're running Linux, to use the "md"
RAID driver that simulates RAID in software.

> I was looking at the change log of postgresql 8, and figured out that
> it supports tablespace now, giving me the flexibility of storing my
> tables in different disks and even different directories if I want.
>
> So, I'm thinking in, instead of migrating it from oracle to 7.4.2,
> migrate it directly to 8.0 and be a beta tester for 8.0. that would be
> a great experiment, don't you think?
> Is anyone here using pgsql 8.0 in production now? I'm already using it
> in my development environment, around 80 tables but just a few
> megabytes of data (it's development). Is anyone here using it in a
> real world application by now?

Nobody should be considering using 8.0 for anything called "production
use" at this point in time, because it is NOT guaranteed that there
will be an upgrade path to the "official" release.

Now, I'm possibly 'somewhat conservative,' as someone that wouldn't
want to call a system 'production' if it's using cheapo IDE drives.

But what you're proposing isn't merely a matter of 'trying to jump the
learning curve;' you're tempting, instead, the "learning cliff," and
the results of problems, there, are that instead of scuffing your
knees, you wind up falling 8 stories and going "splat."
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html