Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: performance problem - 10.000 databases
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Quoth sfrost@snowman.net (Stephen Frost):
> * Christopher Browne (cbbrowne@libertyrms.info) wrote:
>> On one of our test servers, I set "fsync=false", and a test load's
>> load time dropped from about 90 minutes to 3 minutes.  (It was
>> REALLY update heavy, with huge numbers of tiny transactions.)
>>
>> Which is, yes, quite spectacularly faster.  But also quite
>> spectacularly unsafe.
>>
>> I'm willing to live with the risk on a test box whose purpose is
>> _testing_; it's certainly not a good thing to do in production.
>
> Would it be possible to have the effectively done for a specific
> transaction?  If this was done as a single large transaction could
> there be an option to say "don't fsync this until it's all done and
> then do it all" or something?  Just looking for a way to get the
> 'best of both worlds'...

Oh, for sure, the whole thing could be invoked as one giant
transaction, which would reduce the cost dramatically.

But it diminishes the value of the benchmark for my purposes.  It's
useful to measure how costly those individual transactions are.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','cbbrowne.com').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/oses.html