Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, jharris@tvi.edu ("Jonah H. Harris") wrote:
> I don't recommend discussion for this in this thread, but it could
> also tie in with the packages support we've discussed and (although
> some may argue this), compiling the PL to bytecode and using that.

This makes me think of the old jwz quote...
 "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll use regular expressions.'  Now they have two
problems."-- Jamie Zawinski, on comp.lang.emacs

There are essentially four choices:

1.  Embed a JVM in PostgreSQL, and use that; the fact that there are
already multiple "pljava" implementations suggests that it may be
difficult to pick a strategy...

2.  Embed some clone of CLR in PostgreSQL, let's say, MONO.

I don't think there's a suitable BSDL'ed option...

3.  Embed Parrot (the Perl/Python thing) in PostgreSQL.  (Not that
Parrot can be considered "done".)

4.  Make up a PostgreSQL-specific bytecode interpreter.

I'm quite sure that this leads to adding to the problems...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','gmail.com').
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/nonrdbms.html