Bug in char ?

От sdupille@aim.fr
Тема Bug in char ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    Hello !

    I got a strange probl�me with a table that I import via
flat text files. In this table there is some fields of type
�char (n)�. When I import this table, I got an error :
"ERROR:  Tuple is too big: size 8576"
    Althought the record in the file is not more than about 4500
characters. When I use fields of type �varchar (n)�, the import is
correct. Great !

    But the thing I don't understand is if I grow this record, and
if it has a size of more than 8000 characters, the import still do it
right ! So where is the problem ? I don't understand what is appening !

    This error is reproducted under Postgres 6.3 and 6.4 (both
under Linux RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.0.36).

    I also got another question : is there an operator or a
function to get the size of a field, a row, or a table ?

--
  ___
{~._.~}                    Stephane - DUST - Dupille