Removing large objects from the db (Q at bottom)

От jagged@shaitan.demiurge.org
Тема Removing large objects from the db (Q at bottom)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Let's say you've got the following relation in a database:

CREATE TABLE foo (
    descr    VARCHAR(32),
    content    OID
);

and you do a

INSERT INTO foo (descr, content)
    VALUES ('obj1', lo_import('/tmp/bar.txt'));

then you'll have one tuple in your relation with the oid of the imported
'bar.txt' in the content column, so if you were to do a

SELECT * FROM foo;

you might get something that looks like

descr|content
-----+-------
obj1 | 166219
(1 row)

Now, if you do a

DELETE FROM foo WHERE descr = 'obj1';

you'll wind up deleting the tuple in foo, but if you do a

SELECT lo_export(166219, '/tmp/frotz.txt');

you'll find that the large object is still in the database, which makes
sense, since you're only deleting a pointer to the lo. I apologise for the
pedantry -- I just wanted to make sure that I was on solid ground before I
asked what will very probably be a silly question: How do you delete a
large object from the database? I didn't see a built in function, and there
wasn't anything in section 15 of the programmer's manual.

--
Alexander Garrett - Information Architect, Demiurge Electronic Publishing
  * like tiny insects in the palm of history a domino effect in a cloud