Re: reduce downtime when upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4

От Christopher Browne
Тема Re: reduce downtime when upgrading 7.3 -> 7.4
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when girgen@pingpong.net (Palle Girgensohn) wrote:
> We use postgresql for rather large databases. For a typical
> installation, a pg_restore takes a couple of hours, at least (the
> dumpfiles are usually 2-4
> gigabytes or so, including BLOBs). The machines are expected to be up
> 24/7, so this dump/restore procedure makes upgrading unpopular. Is
> there any (safe) way to speed this process up?
>
> The most obvious question is, can we use pg_upgrade from contrib? It
> seems not to have been updated since 7.3, and is generally documented
> as untested. What kind of problems can we get, can they be tested for
> in a testbed in advance?
>
> If pg_upgrade is not a good idea, how can I speed up pg_restore? Best
> way to set things like fsync etc in postgresql.conf? Will it make a
> big difference?
>
> We use FreeBSD-4.9 and want to upgrade from 7.3.4 -> 7.4.1.

A "faster" method would be to use one of the replication systems, such
as ERserv.

You have your existing database, running 7.3.4, and set up another DB
instance (perhaps on the same box) running 7.4.1.

You replicate the 7.3 DB over to the 7.4 one.  It may take a
substantial period of time to get them in near sync, but once you get
them close, you can disconnect the application that is injecting
updates to the 7.3 DB, and it should take mere minutes to get those
updates into the 7.4 system.

You then shut down the 7.3 system, shift the 7.4 one to the ports your
application expects to use, and voila!  You did it all with a mere 10
minute outage.  You may need a few minutes to add back integrity
constraints that the replication system required you to drop (because
it may not order inserts in the exact same order that they went into
place in the origin system).

All that being said, ERserv may not cope perfectly with BLOBs, so you
may need to do something special about that.

But the above approach, while it has aspects that are fragile, can
certainly cut down "down time" REALLY substantially.

The other major approach that would provide something equivalent is
the "Holy Grail" of PITR, which some people are thinking of working on
now.  That would be a more universal scheme which would be logically
quite similar:

 -> You start a pg_dump to send to the 7.5 system, and start
    archiving WAL files.

 -> You load the pg_dump into the 7.5 system.

 -> You then move over the WAL files, and replay them into the 7.5
    system.  (Big magic occurs here!)

 -> You shut down the 7.3 system, copy the last WAL files over,
    and and load them into 7.5.

And voila!  You have a 7.5 database that started with the contents of
the pg_dump, and then had all of the subsequent transactions applied
to it, bringing it up to date.

The Big Magic part is of the need to load 7.3 WAL data into a 7.5
system.  If anything about data format changes, something fancy has to
happen read it in properly.  I wrote 7.5 rather than 7.4 because this
is certainly not something that will be ready for a 7.4 release.

If you need something sooner, then you'll need to look into the
existing replication solutions.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html