Re: FW: Configuring Postgres to use unix sockets

От Douglas McNaught
Тема Re: FW: Configuring Postgres to use unix sockets
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"John Zubac" <jzubac@internetsecure.com> writes:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I am not too sure how to do this but I'll ask
>
> I want two postgres servers to communicate over a serial port. I want to
> avoid using the TCP/IP network protocol for added security. I heard this
> can be accomplished through unix sockets? Could anyone give me some
> configuration advice. I am a little in the dark with this type of config.

Unix sockets can't work across a serial link.

You would need to run PPP over the serial link between the two
machines, then make TCP connections using that network.  It'd be
*much* faster and less hassle to simply put a second NIC in each
machine, connect them with a crossover cable, and run your PG
connections over that network.  You could also enforce use of the
private network (in both cases) by use of firewall rules.

-Doug