Re: Database level encryption

От Timothy Madden
Тема Re: Database level encryption
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
My scenario is how to protect the database if the machine is stolen
(it is a mini-laptop), and
I would like to encrypt the entire database, that is all columns of
all tables, and if possible
everything else found in the database.

I would like all searching and sorting functions, just like with a
normal database (that is,
transparent encryption for the application level). The password will
be entered by a human in
order to start the application. The application exits after three
unsuccessful attempts, but
nothing prevents the user to start the application again; the number
of failures is not counted.
However if the database could count that I would not mind. I want a
single password for
data access to the entire database, there is only one database user
involved anyway.

I do not  see the careful analysis required that you write about, I
would say I am asking for
SGBD support for database-level encryption.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden