Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I think i386 and amd64 are enough, really. We could add more later if
> necessary, but i don't think we need to.

Ok.

> I assume this can be easily virtualized - e.g. having one VM for each
> version and just boot it up, update all dependencis, build, and shut
> down? in fact, shouldn't there be tools around already that do this
> automated?

Yes, see pbuilder.  You prepare a debootstrap environment (that's a
tar.gz with a bare minimum debian installation in that you can chroot to
to build package) and pbuilder will apt-get build-dep then debuild for
you then copy the resulting debs out of the chroot and remove it.

You can even build i386 packages from an amd64 OS, I'm doing that
nowadays for the emacs-snapshot package for ubuntu.  I'm building from
the debian package someone else is doing.

>> Anybody thinking we should somehow include ubuntu in the mix?  If yes,
>> which versions?
>
> Yes, since according to a comment somewhere the same issue will bubble
> into ubuntu soon. At this point, definitely 8.04 and 10.04, and
> probably 10.10. If things can be easily automated, it would be great
> if we could do *all* supported ubuntu, but doing LTS and the latest
> one or two non-LTS releases.

Well, that needs I guess either several ubuntu VM or pbuilder support
for ubuntu debootstraps, will check about that.

--
Dimitri Fontaine