Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> No, I don't think so.  HS without SR means you still have to fool with
> setting up WAL-file-based replication, which despite the existence of
> pg_standby is a PITA.  And you have to make a tradeoff of how often to
> flush WAL files to the standby.  To be a real candidate for "it just
> works" replication, we've *got* to have SR.

There are also walmgr.py from Skytools and pitrtools from CMD, both of
them are simpler to install and get working. In my view the big ticket
with SR would be the synchronous part for full HA setup, without that I
guess walmgr+HS is plenty good enough. But as a project that still means
having to get an external piece of software to operate replication, so
that's still not "PostgreSQL 8.5 comes with replication support."

Regards,
--
dim