Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

От Gunnar Rønning
Тема Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* Ian Linwood <ian@dinwoodi.plus.com> wrote:

| I'd recommend Solaris, which has MUCH more mature MP support!
| Linux still has a way to go (although it's getting there very
| quickly).

Maybe the Solaris MP support is more mature, I haven't tested.
But I did some performance tests with PostgreSQL 7.0.x a little
more than a year ago. The test were replay of real life usage of our
web applications.

The platforms were :

Solaris Sparc E220r? (450 MHz cpu, 1 gig ram, 10000 rpm disks)
Solaris Intel 750 Mhz, 256 MB ram, 7200 rpm disk.
Linux Intel(my laptop), 466 Mhz, 128 MB ram, don't know the speed of the disks.

My laptop had no problem outpeforming the others by a factor of 2.

On a big batchimport, I first tested on my laptop and it took like 15-20
minutes. The same import uses approximately 4 hours on our production box(the
Solaris Sparc...)

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/