Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

От Ian Linwood
Тема Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Дата
Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:14:33 +0000 (UTC), teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind
Glomsrød) wrote:

>> - Hardware:  dual / quad Intel class
>
>Athlon gives more bang for the buck - the dual Athlons are _really_
>nice, and have proven stable as well.

Agreed, single Athlons are much better than single Intels, but I still
think Intel win in the SMP game. As for stability, I think it's a tad
too early to make such a statement.

>> - Disk:  SCSI Raid 1+0
>
>I'd probably go for a 3ware RAID instead... IDE disks are so much
>cheaper nowadays than SCSI, and the premium isn't really justifiable
>anymore.

Aargh, No! SCSI is MUCH better under load and more reliable. I've yet
to see an enterprise server utilise IDE raid.

>> - OS:  Prolly FreeBSD (FFS is your friend (what with syncs and all) and it
>> can do multi proc support
>
>I'd recommend Linux, which has more mature MP support and scales
>better, but I'm obviously biased :). It's of course very important to
>keep what you are familiar with - a good sysadmin makes a world of
>difference no matter what you're using.

I'd recommend Solaris, which has MUCH more mature MP support!
Linux still has a way to go (although it's getting there very
quickly).

If you do decide to use Linux, check out ReiserFS file system.