Re: postmaster link to postgres executable

От Douglas McNaught
Тема Re: postmaster link to postgres executable
Дата
Список pgsql-general
imoir@templetech.com writes:

> Hello
>

> Why is the postmaster link to the postgres executable used to run
> the postgres server rather than running the postgres executable
> directly? I have a client who wishes to use a monitoring
> application, and the fact that a link to an executable is used is
> causing a problem. Can the reference in the linux startup script be
> changed from the postmaster file to the postgres file?

It's a single binary with multiple names, which behaves differently
depending on which name is used to invoke it.  If you start it as
'postmaster', it runs as a daemon and handles incoming connections.
If you invoke it as 'postgres', it starts a "standalone backend",
which is only used for fixing certain rare problems.

So no, invoking it as 'postgres' will keep it from working correctly.

-Doug