Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade
Дата
Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> In any case that would ratchet the priority of ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE
> back up to a must-have-for-9.1, since pg_upgrade would then leave you
> with a non-upgraded extension.
>
> Now what?

What would be the problem with pg_upgrade acting the same as a
dump&reload cycle as far as extensions are concerned?  After all those
can be considered as part of the schema, not part of the data, and the
system catalogs are upgraded by the tool.

It would then only break user objects that depend on the extension's
objects OIDs, but that would be the same if they instead recorded the
OID of catalog entries, right?

So a valid answer for me would be that when you pg_upgrade, the
extensions are installed again from their scripts.  If you want to go
further than that, you can insist on having the same version of the
extension on both sides, but that would defeat the purpose of the tool
somehow.  After all you asked for an upgrade…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine