Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Дата
Ответ на Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> One of the biggest current complaints about recovery.conf from
>> Debian/Ubuntu users is the fact that it lives in $PGDATA.  Won't we just
>> get the same thing here?

I don't think so, see below.

> I don't think that's the same case, but ... why exactly don't they like
> recovery.conf, and can you show that the location of the file has
> anything to do with the underlying complaint?  Personally I bet it's
> more about the confusion between configuration and triggering functions.
> Until we can get those things separated, using recovery.conf to argue
> about file locations will result in nothing but confusion and bad
> design.

I think it's all about having a user-edited configuration file somewhere
else than /etc, and that keeping the triggering functions separated from
the setup itself would be a good thing to have.

I bet that if some facts and links are necessary they will appear soon,
now is not a right time for me to be searching for those facts…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine