Re: Backup docs

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: Backup docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> -    The procedure for making a base backup is relatively simple:
> +    The easiest way to perform a base backup is to use the
> +    <xref linkend="app-pgbasebackup"> tool. It can create
> +    a base backup either as regular files or as a tar archive. If more
> +    flexibility than <xref linkend="app-pgbasebackup"> can provide is
> +    required, you can also make a base backup using the low level API
> +    (see <xref linkend="backup-lowlevel-base-backup">).
> +   </para>

Good start.

> +   <para>
> +    It is not necessary to be concerned about the amount of time it takes
> +    to make a base backup. However, if you normally run the

Why not?

> +    file, and can ordinarily be ignored.) Once you have safely archived
> +    the file system backup and the WAL segment files used during the
> +    backup (as specified in the backup history file), all archived WAL
> +    segments with names numerically less are no longer needed to recover
> +    the file system backup and can be deleted. However, you should
> +    consider keeping several backup sets to be absolutely certain that
> +    you can recover your data.
> +   </para>

You're frighting off users when not detailing, I think. How to be
certain I can recover my data, is there a way that I can't when a backup
has been successfully made? How can I check?

Also I don't see mention of basebackup+wal files all in one with the -x
option, which I though would have to be addressed here?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine