Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd trigger does not work very well

От wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd trigger does not work very well
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> >     I consider it a hack, since this particular trigger  needs  a
> >     global flag known explicitly by xact routines. I like general
> >     solutions instead.
>
> Well, really it's pg_pwd itself that is a hack --- we wouldn't need
> to be worrying about all this if pg_pwd didn't exist outside the
> database/transaction universe.  But I don't think it'd be wise to
> try to bring the postmaster into that universe, so we're stuck with
> a hack for exporting user authorization info.
>
> If we had examples of other problems that could be solved by such
> a mechanism, then I'd agree with Jan that we ought to invent a general
> after-commit-do mechanism.  But I don't recall users clamoring for it,
> so I question whether the extra effort is worthwhile.
   Exactly  these  days  there  was  someone  having  trouble to   dynamically load the tclLDAP package into PL/Tcl.
He wanted   to UPDATE his LDAP from inside a trigger.

   If  he hasn't had this loading problem, I'd never known. So I   assume there are already constructs like this out
there.

Jan

От: wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] A further thought on rule string size